Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power laptop on and off issues

• Please log in to reply

bigdogc23

bigdogc23

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok first thank you in advance to anyone that takes the time to read this and attempt to help me out. I will try to explain everything from start to finish in as much detail as possible without being confusing.

First, as stated in the topic description, I am referring to a HP Pavilion dv2000, with a AMD 64x2 1.6, 2 gigs ddr2 RAM, and runs the XP home OS.

Ok, once beautiful day with the sun shining so so bright and the birds singing beautiful love songs, my wife hands me her computer with a nasty frown and says fix this it's broke. Oh and she said I wasn't allowed to buy another computer to replace it right now and I couldn't spend over 50 bucks but I have to make it work. Yea, hahahaha.........

So I have a broken Gateway laptop that the D/C jack broke on so I took out the hard drive, put it in this computer, and booted it up. Since it was a Gateway and the OS was not cofigured for this computer I just hit the system restore button. After it restored windows, it asked me for the OS key, I punched it in and walla I was at the home screen. This is where I learned that when it had all the wrong drivers due to it being configured for a Gateway and not a HP. Dunno know why this didn't click before I started but it didn't. Anyway, I got on my other computer, downloaded all the required drivers from the HP support website, and updated everyone of them. So after doing this, it worked perfectly except on thing. The computer has some physical startup issues and I will describe in the next paragraph.

So you plug it in, and the LED dashboard automatically comes on but nothing else. So then you have to push the power button until they go off and then push it again to attempt to get it to come on. If I am lucky it will come on with no issues. But most of the time you push the power button on, the LED lights come on, fans come on, but no screen. So you push the power button until it shuts itself off and do this again a few times until it comes on if you are lucky. When this doesn't work, I have to take everything out of the USB ports, unplug the power cord, and take the battery out for 15- 30 secs. Put everything back together and then it usually starts up with no issues.

This is what I have done to troubleshoot. Went to the HP website and looked up troubleshooting guide for this model and this issue. It says do a hard reset by taking out the battery, unplugging the computer, and push the power button 15 secs, leave the battary, plug it in, and start it back up. If it starts with no issues then you have a battery problem. Did this and it no worky.

Also it said the hard drive could be installed wrong. Dunno how someone does this because there is only one way for it to go in but I took it out, checked it out, put it back in, and ensured that all the screws where down tight. No worky.

I Googled it, and find that these HP's that came out of this era about3-4 years ago, model dv2000 through dv6000 or so had some power up problems. I didn't seem to find anything that pointed me in a direction of a solution.

I DID NOT have this issue until the hard drive died and was replaced. Can someone at least point me in a direction? I didn't know where to post this, hardware section or software section so if I posted it in the wrong place let me know and I will re-post in the correct spot. If you have specific questions just post and I will answer ASAP. Again, thanks guys. Have a good one.

Advertisements