Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

dimension 3100 wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello!! i have a dell dimension 3100 ad have used it for the past few years. worked great until a couple of days ago. left home for the weekend, came back ad it wouldn't turn on. i dont have the cash to get it fix and it cost a good amount just to get a diagnostics done. when you plug it in ad press the power button, othing happens. i took the side paneling off and there was one light on towards the bottom by this round metallic object. not much on computer stuff....so could you help me out?

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts
Check for bad caps first:

If they look ok, try a different power supply next.

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts
Troubleshooting computers is a lot of trial and error. The light on just indicates 5vdc on the board. A momentary contact from the power on switch sends a signal through the board to tell the PSU to turn on.
The 1st place to start is with another PSU (as indicated). I highly doubt that the switch is bad.