Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista turning off randomly with no error codes or warnings

• Please log in to reply

mattdavis90

mattdavis90

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have got an Acer Aspire 5610z laptop and it keeps turning off randomly. I can be using the computer and it will suddenly just switch off. The switching off is like the power has been lost. I thought at first that it might be the power supply but I have checked it with a multimeter and it is fine plus I have waggled the cable around whilst the laptop is on and it seems to be fine.

I have checked 'Event Viewer' and the only evidence is an entry saying 'Windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown'.

I wanted to find out whether the problem is caused by software or hardware so I booted in to Ubuntu from a live cd. The laptop ran for 8 hours continuously, it has never made it more than about 2 hours on windows. This led me to thinking that maybe it was just a problem with the current installation of windows, so I tried to install vista again.

The vista installation gets to around 60% then the computer switches off without warning. I thought that maybe it some interrupt or command that the computer doesn't like and it might be triggered by an installation etc. so I have just finished installing Ubuntu on the laptop and everything is running very smoothly.

The laptop is not mine and the person who owns it needs Vista back on the laptop if possible.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks

MattDavis90

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,095 posts
A quick Google search will show that particular model has complaints about the same issues. Google it====> "Acer Aspire 5610z shuts down". I didn't see a solution really. I would try running without the battery and just the ac adapter and the other way around too. Is the fan running?

Edited by zep516, 24 October 2010 - 01:08 PM.

mattdavis90

mattdavis90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply. The fan is spinning and there isn't any dust in the heatsinks. The processor is running at a reasonable temperature if I look in the BIOS straight after the computer turns off.

I had previously done a google search but as you say there is really an answer than seems to fit or fix the issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
Have you tried using the Acer empowering software http://support.acer-...y/utility2.html
It allows you to have more control over power settings, fan speed and activation etc, your laptop is at the bottom of the page.

mattdavis90

mattdavis90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, The empowering software was installed before I formatted the laptop and the problem still existed. I can't even install windows now because when the installer hits about 60% the laptop just switches off. I'm not totally dismissing heating as the issue but the laptop is working fine running Ubuntu which makes me think it can't be a heating problem. Thanks