Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running a diagnostic

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In most cases a shop will just format and start fresh.
The Event log will help us zero in on the driver or hardware that may be causing the issue now.

Advertisements

jds2207

jds2207

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
OK... good news is I got the laptop up and got the event logs!

They are attached. I am assuming system log is the one of most interest.

-Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm that zip file isn't working on my side.
Please look at post 2 as it has the program to use to get the info and how to save it and attach it. :D

jds2207

jds2207

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sorry, I should use the VEW again?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D Yep ;)

jds2207

jds2207

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
It seems my upload quota is reached. It says I have used 2.14MB of my 2MB. Is there a way to reset this so I can upload the VEW file?

Thanks.

jds2207

jds2207

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sorry, I realized I need to delete my other uploads! Attached is my VEW log file.

Thanks!

Attached Files

• Attached File  VEW.txt   33.92KB   347 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! :D
What a mess.
I'm going to ask a question but please don't take offense to my question. ;)

The XP you are using is it from a Recovery disk included with the system or is it a Retail or OEM version or is it a downloaded version from online?

I have a suggestion on the next step but will wait for your response to the above.
I'm thinking we may be dealing with something other then hardware or software here.

jds2207

jds2207

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
No offense taken. I am just using the XP that came pre-installed when I purchased the laptop (Lenovo). So this would be the OEM category. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure I do not have the CD that came with the laptop any longer :-(.

jds2207

jds2207

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
If I will be needed an XP cd, I can get legal access through my employer.

Thanks again.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I only tell someone to format and reinstall as a last resort. Luckily we're not there yet ;)

I see two possibilities left at this time. :D

I'm thinking we might be fighting a infection of some sort. Before I say it's time to backup and start fresh I want to make sure your system is clean. ;)

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
In reading through this there seem to be a lot of faulting modules. Surprising that SFC didn't find anything.
I also agree to go to the malware forum.
If there is malware/virus this will never get cleaned up. :D

jds2207

jds2207

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you to both of you. I have started a second topic at the Malware forum. 123Runner... when you say "If there is malware/virus this will never get cleaned up." you mean that if I don't address the issue it will never get cleaned up or if there is malware/virus I need to start looking for a new computer?

Thanks again to everyone!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I mean that if there is malware on the computer it can be creating all the trouble we are having to get you fixed.
The malware forum will get you clean, or give you a clean bill of health.
You can then return here and we will continue our attempts to get you fixed up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I mean that if there is malware on the computer it can be creating all the trouble we are having to get you fixed.
The malware forum will get you clean, or give you a clean bill of health.
You can then return here and we will continue our attempts to get you fixed up.

:D ;) ;) ;) :( :)