Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to network after removing Antimalware Doctor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

togatown

togatown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I talked with Olrik at artellos. He said there is a bug in the code that he needs to fix. Please see the log of our conversation below. he said he needs to time to fix it and will let me know when there is a updated version of SINO to use...

Guest: haveing an issue running sino
me: Are you getting an error? :D
Guest: i extracted it - and ran it but then get a popup that says errors occurred - see logfile SINO.exe for details
me: Can you find the logfile?
Guest: yes
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "SINO.py", line 956, in <module>
File "SINO.py", line 43, in _init_
File "SINO.py", line 756, in update
File "httplib.pyc", line 866, in request
File "httplib.pyc", line 889, in _send_request
File "httplib.pyc", line 860, in endheaders
File "httplib.pyc", line 732, in _send_output
File "httplib.pyc", line 699, in send
File "httplib.pyc", line 667, in connect
socket.gaierror: (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')
me: Hang on.
I will take a look.
Guest: thanks
Sent at 00:11 on Thursday
me: Ah. I see SINO is failing in a section that scans for an update.
Were you using SINO on instructions of a helper?
Sent at 00:14 on Thursday
Guest: yes - and I can't connect to the internet - that's why i'm talking to a helper
me: Can you unplug the computer you're trying to run SINO on completely? (from the internet that is)
Sent at 00:16 on Thursday
Guest: it is not plugged in to a hardwired connection. I just disabled wireless and tried to run it again but got the same error popup
any other ideas?
me: Hmm, not without fixing this bug in the code.
but I'll need some time for that.
Guest: is that the issue though? i can't run sino without internet access?
me: SINO is not hardcoded to require internet access.
It should skip the update part.
But it's not at the moment. I will need to fix that bug.
But it's 00:19 here already.
Guest: no problem - i will tell my helper on geekstogo what we discussed and see what he thinks i should do from here
me: What helper is helping you?
Guest: is there someway i can get a working app from you once you work on the fix?
Essexboy
me: Ah, you're having a malware problem too?
Guest: that was the original issue - he has had me do many scan and I believe the malware is gone - so does he. but for some reason i cannot connect to the internet
the last thing he asked me to do was run a scan with sino
it's been ongoing for weeks - getting very frustrating :'(
me: I can imagine.
Essexboy is a very good helper and I am sure the malware will be gone.
I know Essexboy, and he's helped me develop SINO quite a bit.
Guest: yes - i think he's already got that taken care of so i'm happy - but this no internet thing is really becoming a pain
Sent at 00:23 on Thursday
me: I will do my best to fix the bug in SINO a.s.a.p

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK I see that I will not need to discuss this with Olrik.. :D

OK question time ..

What is the error message when you try to connect using either ethernet or wireless ?

The latest set of ethernet drivers for your system is here scroll down to the network section and select the ethernet controller, then select the correct driver for your WLAN card

Install both drivers, reboot and then retry the internet. If it fails could I ask once again for the error code/warning

togatown

togatown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I don't actually get an error. It recognizes my home wireless network, and tries to connect. Part of the steps of connecting is acquiring or renewing the IP address. That's the part where it just tries and tries to connect and acquire an IP address but never does. It shows that the signal strength is excellent and the status is "acquiring network address". It basically stays on that for a long time. Finally if you wait long enough - over 20 minutes - I believe a ballon pops up and says windows could not connect to the network becuase it could not acquire a network address or something to that effect.

I downloaded the WLAN driver and installed it and rebooted. When my machine came back up I got a window with the error message - Wireless Configuration: Internal configuration is inconsistent. Please restart the machine to resolve the problem. I restart and it gives me the same error message again. The Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility now shows us in my tray along with the Windows Wireless configuration utility but now I can't use either. If I try to do anything with the Dell Utility, it gives me that same error. And if I try to open the windows utility, Windows cannot configure the wireless connection. If you have selected another program to manage that program, please use that software. If you want Windows to configure the connection, start the Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) service.

Now I'm really stuck.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Restore the system to prior to installing the drivers and I will take another tack

togatown

togatown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
OK - i'm restored back to yesterday

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK). At the prompt, type:

netsh interface ip reset resetlog.txt

and press Enter (note the spaces in the command line). The original prompt will reappear, exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC.

Then retry to connect

togatown

togatown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Still having the same issue - it's been trying to acquire the network address for a few minutes now

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets now confirm that all the right services are up and running

Go to:
Control Panel – Administrative Tools – Services;

make sure TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper and DHCP Client services are started and set to Automatic

togatown

togatown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Neither of them were started. When I tried to start them, I got the following error messages...

---------------------------
Services
Could not start the DHCP Client service on Local Computer.

Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

OK

Services
Could not start the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service on Local Computer.

Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

OK

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK that is the problem - now I will need to find a solution

First do you have a windows cd ? As the following may require it

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Advertisements

togatown

togatown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a Windows CD that originally came with my machine which is for Vista Home Basic but I'm currently running XP Professional which I don't have the CD for. Let me know if you still want me to run the file checker

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes run SFC and if it queries a file make a note of the file name and then select skip

togatown

togatown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
When I run the scan it brings up a window that says:

Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now.

Then gives me the options of RETRY, MORE INFORMATION, and CANCEL

If I hit cancel, it says: If you cancel, Windows might require you to insert a CD later. Are you sure you want to skip this file. Yes or No. If I hit Yes,then the same error message as above appears again.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK so some files are missing or corrupted - lets see if I can find which ones

First run this MSFixit (about halfway down the page) if that fails then run the following OTL scan

• Run OTL. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
    /md5start
    tcpip.sys
    netbios.sys
    /md5stop

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.

togatown

togatown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
FixIt ran fine and restarted my machine. Still can't connect though. YOu still want me to run the OTL scan?