Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer turning off/on issues

• Please log in to reply

Senoo

Senoo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
First off the computer specs,
Gigabyte EP43-U3SL
E8400 core 2 duo
BFG GTX 260
Corsair 650w PSU
4 Gigs of ram

I have been having computer issues for over two weeks now and I am at my wit's end.
My problem started when i accidentally tripped over my surge protector causing my whole setup to lose power so I immediately tried to turn power back on for the whole setup and to no avail. So after researching what could have happened on my droid I found out that it might be a PSU or motherboard problem. So I went to newegg and bought a power supply which is similar to my corsair, tried it out and computer still would not turn on (no POST, no external lights or mobo activity). So the next logical step I considered was a new motherboard and got the same exact motherboard, tried it out and still nothing happened. Then my friend tried benchtesting the motherboard and still nothing happened and then he also tried plugging in my mobo to another desktop which worked(a big relief).
After finding out it was the whole front panel that was faulty, I RMA'ed back the motherboard and PSU since both my old stuff still works fine and theres no point having the new stuff around. After getting a new tower, another set of problem ensued. Power keeps cycling on and off and its by random if it ever decides to legitimately turn on. I am pretty sure I have installed everything properly though cable management may be lacking. What I have tried doing is removing the PCI-E and see if it would boot up without it and still goes through a couple cycles and would systems let the system boot up. So after that I turned the power off, remove power plug reseat the power to the graphics card and it booted it up properly this time (which could still be a fluke.)I've also googled this issue to death and one of the probable issues was that there the CPU voltage isn;t enough and I don't know how much to increase this by since messing BIOS settings is beyond me.
Thanks for all your help and its very much appreciated.
Cheers!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Senoo :D

one of the probable issues was that there the CPU voltage isn;t enough and I don't know how much to increase this by since messing BIOS settings is beyond me.

Unless you have previously adjusted this in the BIOS it should not be the cause of the issue, to make sure the MB is set to the factory defaults remove the silver CR2032 battery from the MB for a few moments and then replace it, on powering up you will need to go into the BIOS and reset the time and date (tap F8) save the settings and exit (F10).
You have 4GB of Ram, is this 2x2GB sticks if so try one stick at a time and see how that goes, also when you fitted the CPU did you use the correct amount of TIM (thermal insulating material) and attach the HS and CPU fan correctly, if the CPU is getting hot the thermal sensor will shut the system down to protect it from damage.
The last thing that I can suggest is to ensure all connections are secure and all fans are connected.
Hopefully one of the above will help resolve the issue and let us know how it goes or if we can offer any other assistance.