Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent white screen on Advent netbook 4213

• Please log in to reply

Jessicajil

Jessicajil

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an Advent netbook 4213
The screen keeps going completely white, with no lines or faint images.
If I ease the lid back and forth I can eventually find a spot where the screen returns to normal.
Is this likely to be a problem I can fix myself?
Could it be caused by cat or dog hairs getting in the hinge? (I get intermittent problem with cat/dog hairs getting under the keys which is why I asked that last question)

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, it sounds as if it@s a problem with the sreen ribbon cable. You would need to open the comp ( take the top off ) & reseat the cable. Some laptops have a poor connector & need a piece of tape to secure the cable.

Jessicajil

Jessicajil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you Deggit. When you say 'take the top off' do you mean that I invert the laptop and undo the screws I can see there, or do I have to get the lid apart in some way? Do I need to remove the battery as well as the power lead before I do that?

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi J, Yes, no battery & no power. I'm not sure how to dissmantel the Avent but I will see what I can fin. Perhaps someone else knows hoe it comes apart.

Jessicajil

Jessicajil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I t would be great if you can find out how I can get at the screen. I have been looking at videos on YouTube etc but they all have nice simple to get at screws. On the Advent the hinges are at the ends of the screen and the screen does not lay flat for me to get at the screw covers. So far I have been unable to find any information on how to make the screen go flat so that I can reach the screws. I believe the Advent is basically a re-branded ECS G10IL. There are some silver discs on the outside edges of the hinges, but they don't appear to come off.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi J, have a look at this !!!!. A bit daunting but we need to go through it to see what we don't have to undo ;)

http://www.smartphon...13-dismantling/

possibly read several times :D .I will try & see

Jessicajil

Jessicajil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you so much D ...I'd searched and searched and been unable to come up with anything on taking it apart .. and you've found it. I think I will leave it until tomorrow to actually attempt getting to the cable and checking it is properly slotted in. It is obviously a lot more complicated than on laptops which are used in the videos on YouTube! I'll need to print it out as it is a lot to remember!

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, glad I could help. Take your time & keep all the screws etc. in order so you know what came from where.

Don't forget to take antistatic measures...ground yourself by touching metal sink/tap or some other metal.

good luck :D

Jessicajil

Jessicajil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Success! During the twenty four hours before I plucked up courage to try the screen was continuously going white and I found it much harder to find a position where it would work. Works perfectly now :D
The page at http://www.smartphon...13-dismantling/ suggested dismantling the whole machine to get top cover off to make it easier to get at the two screws which are partially hidden by the hinges. I started doing that but it was (for me) a huge and daunting task. In the end I just worked at the screws and got them out (and back in!) It was very difficult to get the cover off the screen, and I could not do it with a bit of plastic like they suggested, I just had to use a fine screw-driver to start the process and then used an old credit card to slip round the rest. I could not get the hinge part off, but found that I could manage without doing that, though it was fiddly. The end of the cable to the LCD is swathed in tape, so I just squeezed it all together and hoped that it was properly slotted in. After re-assembling (a bit tricky with the hinge screws) it is working fine now.
So thank you very much for all your help. ;)

Edited by Jessicajil, 31 October 2010 - 02:53 AM.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
BRILLIANT.....WELL DONE ;) ;) ;)

Patience & ingenuity overcomes.

BTW. cables have been known to have 2 ends & a connector on each end !!! :D

again :(