Success! During the twenty four hours before I plucked up courage to try the screen was continuously going white and I found it much harder to find a position where it would work. Works perfectly now
The page at http://www.smartphon...13-dismantling/
suggested dismantling the whole machine to get top cover off to make it easier to get at the two screws which are partially hidden by the hinges. I started doing that but it was (for me) a huge and daunting task. In the end I just worked at the screws and got them out (and back in!) It was very difficult to get the cover off the screen, and I could not do it with a bit of plastic like they suggested, I just had to use a fine screw-driver to start the process and then used an old credit card to slip round the rest. I could not get the hinge part off, but found that I could manage without doing that, though it was fiddly. The end of the cable to the LCD is swathed in tape, so I just squeezed it all together and hoped that it was properly slotted in. After re-assembling (a bit tricky with the hinge screws) it is working fine now.
So thank you very much for all your help.
Edited by Jessicajil, 31 October 2010 - 02:53 AM.