Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help, files and programs gone

• Please log in to reply

spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm using a windows vista computer, somehow I lost some important files.Just downloaded a fan made game, the game came with instructions on how to modify certain things in the game, like items and characters. I was having trouble getting it to work right so I decided to just play the game. I noticed it was playing weird, laggy almost like I was playing online, I decided to uninstall it and re download it, when I did that, the first time it didn't uninstall, the second time, I went back to my start menu to see if it did, and it was gone...along with half my start menu(and under the all programs tab), and the things left in my start menu/all programs tab are mostly empty folders, including an empty administrative tools folder, and an empty startup folder. Those files are also missing from the control panel. Yahoo is gone from the all programs menu, msn is gone, windows live is gone, windows media player is gone Even my paint program is gone. I tried a system restore 2 times but it wont restore, it keeps saying it it un able, and I am running a virus scan right now (I have norton 360) I still have all my pictures and music, but most of my other files are just gone. ANY idea what the heck happened? this is really bothering me. cd/dvd burning programs gone, calculator, gone, I tried searching for all these files and programs and they arent somewhere else on my computer either. Please help :D

Advertisements

The Noodle

The Noodle

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Can you provide a link to the download?

spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you mean a link to the game download that messed it all up?
This is the website http://www.telefragg...nc_download.htm
the 2 files I downloaded were
avalanche_v06_20090807.exe and
avasdkv06.zip
Both from the richwhitehouse.com site

Can you provide a link to the download?

The Noodle

The Noodle

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I'll see if I can replicate your problem,

In the mean time, your windows applications (paint, calculator etc) are probably still there. Try
  • Holding down the windows key and pressing the letter R on your keyboard
  • Type "mspaint" without quotes and paint should open.

What was the name of your cd/dvd burning program?

spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey sorry I took so long to reply been pretty busy with work. I did the paint thing, and you are right, it is still there, but that seems to be the only way of finding it. It doesn't show up in searches or anything like that (or maybe I'm just doing it wrong) I tried the calculator that way also but didn't find it. I don't remember the exact name of my cd/dvd burner, but I know under the start menu it just said "easy dvd creator) or something like that. I still have another burning program on the computer but it isn't the same one I normally used.

Just curious if you had any luck with replicating the problem I had, or any ideas on how to fix it? thanks so far

I'll see if I can replicate your problem,

In the mean time, your windows applications (paint, calculator etc) are probably still there. Try

• Holding down the windows key and pressing the letter R on your keyboard
  • Type "mspaint" without quotes and paint should open.

What was the name of your cd/dvd burning program?

spiffiestpenguin

spiffiestpenguin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey I just realized, I'm not too sure, if this makes much of a difference, but when all of this happened I was trying to edit the game with the instructions he gave, witch included making a few files using the notepad and turning them into cdf files..I don't really know anything about that, is there anyway I could have made my computer delete these things by accident?

The Noodle

The Noodle

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I've been trying to replicate your problem for a few days but no matter what I do I can't seem to stuff up a VM. Can you try and create a new user account on the machine? If your unsure how to do this try here.

Chances are the cdf files weren't the problem, they're unrelated to your start menu which appears to have been the only thing affected. You said you tried to open the calculator in the same manner as paint. The calculator is listed under calc not calculator ;) Your dvd burning program wasn't really important, just wanted to find a non windows application and see if it was still there.

Let me know how you go with creating a new user account.

Cheers,
The Noodle

Oh and i'm currently in my final exams so don't worry if it takes you a few days to reply, I know the feeling of being busy :D

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
If creating a new user account doesn't get you going try this...

run sfc /scannow...

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

for vista...
go to the run box and type in cmd
instead of hitting the Enter key press Ctrl+Shift + Enter You will be prompted with the obnoxious User Account Control dialog… but it will then open up a command prompt in Administrator mode...then type in sfc /scannow

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /