Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Boot Failure -- Can't boot or re-install Win7

• Please log in to reply

Plug 'n Play

Plug 'n Play

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

I have an HP m9500f Desktop PC. Processor is AMD 780G Phenom-9750 2.4 GHz w/ 8gb on a MSI MS-7548 motherboard running Windows 7 Home Premiun 64-bit. The Win7 was via upgrade form Vista 64-bit. Naturally, the machine is a few months out of warranty.

I have one SATA drive, a 750GB Seagate Barracuda. Apears the computer cannot find the HD.

Last night - without warnings of problems - the computer would not boot and has not done so since. I get the HP splash screen followed by a black screen with "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter." The Win7 Upgrade Disk doesn't help because it can't repair the OS (because it does not see an OS). None of the repair tools on teh Win7 disk work. Could not do a clean install either because of teh computer says there is no place to load the OS program.

I ran an HP Diagnostic from the splash page and it told me "BIOHD-2" and "Warning: No drives detected". It suggested I check teh cables, whihc I did, removing and securely reseting al the SATA cables. Made no difference, on start-up, all the symptoms remian the same and I am unable ot boot.

On teh HP support forum, I found a link suggesting there may be a ptoblem with the firmware on my SATA, but I can' download the patch since I con't boot. (Here's teh URL: http://h10025.www1.h...=reg_R1002_USEN )

I don't know if that is the problem. In fact, I don't know what to do at all -- except dump the computer and go to the Apple store! Does anybody have any suggestions to help?? Thanks in advance!!!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Sounds like the hard drive has simply died.

Install a new one and you should be good to go.

Plug 'n Play

Plug 'n Play

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your quick response. That is, of course, what I feared, but still held out hope! If that's your expert view based on my facts, at least I know where to go next. Many thanks again.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Thank you for your quick response. That is, of course, what I feared, but still held out hope! If that's your expert view based on my facts, at least I know where to go next. Many thanks again.

you can try and download this:

http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

run the quick test from the top of my head the key combo to start it is: E then S and then H
not 100% sure but it will guide itself too.

if for some reason sea tools doesn't work you can try UBCD, you can find that here:

http://www.ultimateb...m/download.html

this is a bootable CD-ROM just burn it to a CD/DVD and put it in your dvd-drive and the program will load
select HDD--->diagnosis--->Sea tools(select the newest version the program has 2 on them i believe its version 5.04)
this will do the same as as the first thing i gave you.
if it tells you the drive tested OK you can try and run the "extended test" if that test passed we know that the drive isn't bad and we can look for a solution to your problem!

keep me posted,

D

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Your HD could be dead.

Your SATA cable might be defective (try a new one)

Your SATA port might be defective (try in another port)

Your BIOS settings might be wrong.

Have you tried to connect your SATA HD in another computer to see if it is detected there or not.