Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random, but frequent BSOD Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I hope it doesn't come to that but I think I have a ideal. Since it has been happening since day I think we may have a short problem.
This is going to mean a bench test is the next steps to take.
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

Advertisements

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
This will take some time, I will get back to you as soon as i can with the results, thank you for the help thus-far.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem
I hope it is a standoff in the wrong place or not tightened down enough and it is causing the short.
:D

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Alrighty, after tinkering lastnight, i finally unplugged everything from my PC but the bare minimum to get it to run, it booted in to BIOS, and windows 7 without a hitch. But then again, i never had any problems booting, so i dont know if what i did really helped any, since i started this topic, i havent had any BSOD's. But thats not to say the problem still exists, ill continue to use the PC, and do my normal routines to see if i can get another crash, and report back.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The questions is with the bench test is to double check your standoffs and make sure none are in a place where a screw isn't attached to it. Also it gives you a chance to make sure they are tightened down to prevent arcing on the MOBO.
Please let us know in a day or two if the issue resumes or not.
Thank you for being so patient and cooperative during all the steps we have taken.

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I will be sure and come back with any results whether they be good or bad, hopefully good, I must thank you for sticking it out with me, its hard to find people with patience, and you seem to have plenty. i'll return soon. Many thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and it is my pleasure to help someone who is willing to learn. ;) ;) :D

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello again, its been a day or two, and in that time, i replaced my monitor, and graphics card (which were the two oldest components) and i am still receiving BSOD's but they seem to be a little different from the ones before, and they seem to only happen when high stress comes into play, such as playing PC games, so far ive tested GTA IV, and World of Warcraft, and both after a few minutes of play have caused crashes.

Here is my latest WhoCrashed Report:

On Sun 10/31/2010 12:20:11 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x119 (0x7000000, 0xFFFFFA800636D010, 0xFFFFFA8005DEE560, 0xFFFFFA8003F0D1D0)
Error: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\103110-18501-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 260.99
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 260.99

On Sun 10/31/2010 5:17:05 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ataport.sys
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF3000B983548, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF88001178B99)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\103110-25755-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ataport.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: ATAPI Driver Extension
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 10/30/2010 3:11:58 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF88008A86FF8, 0x0, 0xFFFFF880041BC6E9, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\103010-18345-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 10/30/2010 2:25:57 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ataport.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\103010-22729-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ataport.sys
description: ATAPI Driver Extension

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
These errors just keep jumping all over the place.
We now are at a point where i have to say the only options at this point is either a virus or maybe a faulty cpu or MOBO.
Since the errors are all software indicating that maybe you should look at the virus issue first.
The other two would mean a rma on one or both the cpu and mobo.
So first thing is I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok, i ran the selected program from the Malware Forums, also ran Malware Bytes, and Spybot Search & Destroy, All scans came up clean, as i would suspect, as this is a new Windows Install, I however did not create a topic in the Malware forums with my results, since there really wasnt anything to post.

As far as having a faulty CPU/MOBO i would hope, and think this would NOT be the case, it hasnt even been broken in yet, being barely a month old.

I have a suspicion that this may all be related to wrong settings in my BIOS, and incompatible drivers with the Nvidia card. I may just have to break down and take my PC to CompUSA(where i bought every single component) and have them go through everything.

Everywhere i got, im being told its my RAM and MOBO/CPU, and i just cant fathom, being brand new hardware that they would all be faulty, specially, after all the tests i threw at them, and not one of them have failed.

I do appreciate your help my friend, you are truly a helper!

Advertisements

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok, i ran the selected program from the Malware Forums, also ran Malware Bytes, and Spybot Search & Destroy, All scans came up clean, as i would suspect, as this is a new Windows Install, I however did not create a topic in the Malware forums with my results, since there really wasnt anything to post.

As far as having a faulty CPU/MOBO i would hope, and think this would NOT be the case, it hasnt even been broken in yet, being barely a month old.

I have a suspicion that this may all be related to wrong settings in my BIOS, and incompatible drivers with the Nvidia card. I may just have to break down and take my PC to CompUSA(where i bought every single component) and have them go through everything.

Everywhere i got, im being told its my RAM and MOBO/CPU, and i just cant fathom, being brand new hardware that they would all be faulty, specially, after all the tests i threw at them, and not one of them have failed.

I do appreciate your help my friend, you are truly a helper!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

this may all be related to wrong settings in my BIOS

Then go into bios and click on Set to defaults
This should take everything back to factory settings as far as the motherboard is concerned then.

As far as the Nvidia card drivers try this below.
Before returning the GPU, here's a few things you can try:

Please download and install EVGA Precision from here. (Click on the Download (America) or Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Run EVGA Precision. On the right side, you should see Fan Speed and, beside it, an Auto button. Click the Auto button so that it is no longer selected, then change the Fan Speed to 100%. Now, go to the left side, and on the bottom, click Apply.

If that doesn't alleviate crashes, try this:

First, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers (if they are still installed) using Add or Remove Programs. You can get to Add or Remove Programs by clicking on the Start Button, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Add or Remove Programs. Once in Add or Remove Programs, you need to find NVIDIA Drivers and click Change/Remove. (If you have an NVIDIA chipset, make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove. Otherwise, just click Yes.)

Next, please download and install Driver Sweeper from here. (Click on the Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,
  • Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.
Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Reboot normally (not into safe mode), and then, download and install the drivers found here. (I'm having you install drivers that are a little bit older but are known to have less issues than the 190.xx series drivers.)

Reboot when prompted, and let us know if you still receive the error message.

Thanks to Stettybet0 for the instructions

Nick2253

Nick2253

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey Photeck:

Sorry to hear about your problems. Though I may have a solution for you. Since you have been doing repeated clean installs but still suffer from the BSOD, the ONLY valid assumption is that you have a hardware problem, not a software one. To this end, we have to narrow down the hardware issue.

You mentioned that your computer only BSODs when it is "stressed". What do you mean by that? Like high-end gaming stressed, or emailing some pictures stressed? If it is the former, then I believe we may have solved the problem. First, let me make sure you've done the following:

You ran Memtest (or equivalent) for at least 8 hours?
You reset your computer BIOS to default?
You removed all non-essential components from the computer, and it ceased to BSOD?
You replaced these components with new ones/known good ones, and the BSOD starts again?

In my experience in IT Support, I have only seen one DOA motherboard and two DOA processors, and all of these were DEAD dead, not kinda working dead. Therefore, I believe it is safe to say that these components aren't the issue. Especially if you have successfully run Memtest, which effectively tests all these components, I don't see the problem being there. Also, you are able to boot into Windows without a problem. Though most people don't realize it, booting an OS is one of the best tests for hardware performance, as the OS goes through and initializes most components, if not utilizing most mobo components in the process.

Therefore, the one black sheep left that no one realizes but has been responsible for 95% of hardware problem I've dealt with is: the Power Supply. Because the PSU is an analog component, minor factory variations can compound in a drastic way to cause mischief and mayhem during load. And since you're saying the problems only occur during stress, my very strong hunch is that your PSU is to blame. If you have another computer, you could swap PSUs (make sure the known good PSU is rated for enough load), but you may have to get another one.

EDIT: I noticed that you didn't post your PSU specs in your first post. Did you verify that your PSU is rated for the components you've selected (i.e. does it have enough watts)? If you post the brand/wattage of the PSU, we can check for you.

If you have any questions, reply back here, and we'll help you as best we can.

--Nick

Edited by Nick2253, 01 November 2010 - 04:57 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Ive also ran Windows Memory Diagnostics at 6 passes, No errors found
Also ran MEMTEST86 - for 8 hours, no errors found

Post 5 for the above. ;)

Post 11 is Speedfan screenshot which clearly shows the temps and voltages are well within acceptable ranges. :D

I do agree the make and model of the PSU was overlooked by myself and thank you for pointing that out. ;)
Also the make and model of the GPU will help in determining if the PSU is indeed enough to run it. ;)

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
greetings,

as far as cleaning BIOS settings, they have been at default since install, aside from turning off the onboard graphics setting. I have also wiped the nvidia graphic drivers, and ran a sweep with driver-sweeper in safe mode, and as extra measure scanned the registry with Wise Registry cleaner to see if had left any nvidia drivers behind, it was all cleaned, and i had reinstalled the nvidia drivers from the original disc that came with the graphics card. The link you posted to the nvidia drivers seems to be 32bit.

Nick, glad to see you could hop in and help!
By stressed i mean, anything from opening a browser, or opening multiple windows at the same time, and as well as playing an PC game. So it seems it can be minimal stress, or alot of stress, I did however stress test my graphics card with Furmark for 10mins, temps reached about 94* and the fans kicked in and cooled everything down, and had no crash.

As for memtest, yes i have ran memtest many times already, and all tests have passed. i ran CHKDSK many times and found no errors as well.

BIOS settings were returned to default.

i completely removed all components to the barebone and allowed the system to but up with no problems, as i said before i had no trouble booting even with all the components installed.

and you are right, i completely looked over the PSU when i posted this topic, so here are the specs for that

Corsair TX850w

i made sure when i bought it, that it indeed would run smoothly on my system, and be able to power everything efficiently.

Edited by photeck, 01 November 2010 - 05:27 PM.