Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS will not detect HD capacity correctly

• Please log in to reply

GTGDave

GTGDave

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently removed a 60GB HD from my Dell E1505 laptop, and installed a Western Digital 640GB HD. After HD installation, and upon first detection of the HD using F2, it detected ~610 GB, which was expected. Prior to removal of the 60GB HD, I imaged the existing drive to a Seagate 300GB external HD using Norton Ghost 15.0. Using NG 15, I partitioned the new HD with a 300GB partition, which seemed to work fine.
I then shut down and tried to recover the image using the NG15.0 CD. It appeared to recover fine, but somehow changed the BIOS to a 58GB HD.

Now, even using NG 15, I cannot change the total sectors on the 640GB HD to account for the ~610GB.
Is there any way to change the BIOS to reflect the ~610GB, or has NG 15 somehow written something to the 640GB HD which tells it, that it is only a 58GB HD?

I have been working with Norton tech support and Western Digital tech support for about 1 week now, with no success.

I am running Win XP-SP3.

Edited by GTGDave, 31 October 2010 - 11:50 AM.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
It looks like this is the issue you are running into due to the fact that it's showing the new drive as the same size as the old drive.

HPA Problems

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 02 November 2010 - 02:00 PM.

GTGDave

GTGDave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have now concluded that Norton Ghost 15.0 has a defect in imaging/recovering, as it did the same again with a new WD HD just received from WD. When imaging, the size of the current hard drive must be imaged into the backup, and when recovering, it writes that to the new (larger) HD, thus crippling it by only allowing the old HD size, and not looking for the new HD size. WD says there is no way for me to low-level format the disk as it came from the factory, and must again be returned.

I am considering Acronis True Image, but have written them a query regarding their ability to guarantee it will not happen with their software.