Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply

RichardL

RichardL

• Pip
  • 7 posts
For reasons unknown to me, Windows Installer starts whenever IE or any program requiring internet connection starts. It runs for about a minute then disappears.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Does this happen with Firefox as well? How about Chrome or Opera?
I read this reply in another forum for your problem:

Are you running Microsoft Office and have the Office Shortcut Bar open? If so, close it once, run IE again, let it install and re-open the bar. I've seen this "numerous" times here in a corporate setting. Some files that the bar uses prevents the load from finishing.

If the solution applies for you, try it out and post back.

Also, open Event Viewer (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427), and check for any errors or warnings regarding msi files or Windows installer. Post back anything you see.

RichardL

RichardL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your reply. I went to the MS link you provided and did find MsiInstaller mostly related to MS Office which I never installed. I found MS Outlook was installed but after uninstalling it nothing changed. I only have IE installed. No other brauser. Here's a sample from Event Viewer - Applications;

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1004
Date: 11/2/2010
Time: 9:12:08 PM
User: OFFICE\HP_Administrator
Computer: OFFICE
Description:
Detection of product '{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'ProductFiles', component '{57DD72A4-89B5-432E-99AA-66C0A638D5C0}' failed. The resource 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\MSE10.XML' does not exist.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try this:

Method 4: Reregister the installer engine
Important This method applies to Windows XP and to Windows Server 2000 only.
  • Click Start, click Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
  • At the command prompt, type the following, and then press Enter after each line:MSIExec /unregister

MSIExec /regserver
Have you ever tried to install MS Office, or any of it's components? It looks like there has been a failed installation, and MSI wants to continue.
Look through this: http://support.micro...b/2438651/en-us If there is anything relevant to you, try it.
Do you have any other event viewer log messages? Post all of them that are relevant.

RichardL

RichardL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks again for your help !! The MSIExec/uninstall didn't work, HOWEVER, the link you provided lead to MS Fix This Problem 50416. That removed Office 2003 and THAT did fix the problem. You were a great resource for me !!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Excellent job! :D
Glad to hear that your problem has been solved. Come back again if you have any more problems, and I hope to see you around the forums. ;)