Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Colors

• Please log in to reply

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I understand that a green hard drive uses less power and a black hard drive for some reason has a longer life. What do all the other colors mean, I googled this question a lot with no answers I decided to admit defeat. What do the colors really mean? Is there a chart where we can see what they mean? Is it just a way to keep consumers confused? I am sure the color means something and I want to know what it means. I am considering a new hard drive for my Dell 1545 But I am considering two drives. The 320 GB Black Drive and the 500 GB Blue Drive.

I think I may have figured it out after looking close at the drives. The Black drives appear to run at 7200 rpms and have a 16 mb buffer while the blue run at 5400 rpms and have an 8 mb buffer. Does anyone carry a 2.5 inch green hard drive because that sounds like a smart decision for my laptop.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This might help somewhat.
;) ;) ;) :D

green = low power / low performance
blue= medium power / medium performance
black = high power / high performance

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the input, but now I am left with deciding on battery life or drive performance. Would upgrading from a six cell battery to a nine cell battery help at all?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
May give you another 30 minutes to a hour of battery time at best I believe.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Depending on your storage needs, you might want to take a look at a SSD (Solid State Drive). That will provide you with a very nice speed increase over a standard 5,400rpm drive along with a longer battery life. But if you are looking for storage, that's not going to be the right thing for you.

One thing I've read about the Caviar Black drives that I liked was that the spindle is secured at both the top and the bottom. According to the conversation I had with one of the WD techs, the Caviar Green and Blue drives are only secured at one end.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another point is since this is going into a laptop then you might want to consider the Black since it according to what I read can handle the work load you would be putting it under. :D

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I was looking for a solid state drive but can't find one that fits a laptop. I probably will go with black because I play a lot of videos and stuff over my network.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Black is the workhorse and since I personally know what you use your system for I would highly suggest a HD that can stand up to the work load you put them through. :D

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Provided you are using the correct interface, such as SATA or PATA, any 2.5" drive should work. I recently posed this question and that was the answer I received from dsenette.

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

This might help somewhat.
;) ;) ;) :D

green = low power / low performance
blue= medium power / medium performance
black = high power / high performance

Yellow = Enterprise class drives Or would you still call them black as the top of label is black but bottom with drive name is Yellow.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would consider Yellow = High speed\High Performance\High Stability