Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Needs Help, BAD RAM or SOMETHING ELSE?

• Please log in to reply

Razaille

Razaille

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok first off, this computer is freshly re-installed with windows xp home ed. Why i did that? because before i re-installed it, it keeps crashing and reporting to close some programs, and terminate programs with warnings that state "memory at *add computer language here* cannot be written/read" keep appearing. So yes i freshly re-installed and I still get them, and when it crashes it has an error report popping out, saying "The system has recovered from a serious error". One time i sent that error report and it mentions something about a bad memory module so i downloaded and burned the program from microsoft that starts upon booting, which i think tests memory and last time i remembered theres some of the tests that failed. Help me guys what should I do? What I need to buy/replace if theres any. I'm attaching my computer specs with this forum post. HELP ME OUT GUYS!! thanks!! I really appreciate it!

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpuz.txt   21.06KB   250 downloads

Edited by Razaille, 25 May 2005 - 09:43 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Either your RAM or hard disk could be failing. You've done a RAM test which reported errors apparently. Ok, now just to be quite sure it's not also the hard disk, go to the website of the manufacturer of the disk and see if they have a diagnostic or testing tool you can download and run (maxtor and seagate have cos I've used them). If the disk test passes, then I should remove one stick of ram and see if the problems have gone. If they haven't, put that stick of RAM back and remove the other one to see if that makes a difference. Of course, you will notice a drop in performance with less RAM, but ignore that and use your PC for while to see if it's working without serious errors.

Razaille

Razaille

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok thanks for those diagnostic tips i should do, so to confirm, ITS NOT MOTHERBOARD RELATED? coz my dad might go buy a motherboard just for the sh*t of it thinking its the one failing. Well il go do those and report back thanks a ton!