Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sata power cable use

• Please log in to reply

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I have been trying to understand why the sata power has the orange power connector with 3.3V

I read in one site that it enables to connect the drive with out needing to turn off the computer but there was no other explanation.
This does not make too much sense to me like how is it connected to the computer? when can u connect it through a sata connection. If you are using esata you need to connect an external power source. So this way what use is there for the 3.3V connection?

I have noted that you cannot connect esata on xp after you boot because it does not recognize it. On win7 does it connect automatic? I have not tried it yet can someone share there knowledge with me?

Thanx

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I suspect you have an eSATAp connector, and not an eSATA connector. The eSATAp, or power over eSATA is to supply some newer devices that don't have external power supplies. Also note that would be for +12V (+5 for notebooks) and not +3.3V. Also note there is no standard for color coding cables so the fact yours is orange is simply because somebody likes the color orange.

vally

vally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Also note that would be for +12V (+5 for notebooks) and not +3.3V. Also note there is no standard for color coding cables so the fact yours is orange is simply because somebody likes the color orange.

I know that the colors are not standered or must but why is there a 3.3V connection to a sata hard drive? When is it used if at all?

Here is a table for a sata power connection. note that 1-3 are 3.3V DC

Pin Name Color Description
1 +3.3VDC Orange +3.3 VDC
2 +3.3VDC Orange +3.3 VDC
3 +3.3VDC Orange +3.3 VDC
4 COM Black Ground
5 COM Black Ground
6 COM Black Ground
7 +5VDC Red +5 VDC
8 +5VDC Red +5 VDC
9 +5VDC Red +5 VDC
10 COM Black Ground
11 COM Black Ground (Optional or other use)
12 COM Black Ground
13 +12VDC Yellow +12 VDC
14 +12VDC Yellow +12 VDC
15 +12VDC Yellow +12 VDC