Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP System freezes when CD is loaded

• Please log in to reply

leoconnection

leoconnection

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I load a new CD in one of my 2 drives (48X CDRW or 8X DVD+-R/RW), my system hangs. The mouse freezes and keyboard stops responding. I believe this has started happening after I upgraded to Windows XP Professional SP2. If I keep the CD in the drive when rebooting, once it reboots, it hangs again. Once in about 7 times it does not hang after multiple reboots. If I power OFF the system and start it again, then it mostly accepts the CD, though I have seen it hanging a few times. I have already checked for viruses and malware and I have none. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks,

Leo

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
SP2 could well be the reason -- it's caused a whole raft of miscellaneous problems depending on what software/hardware a person has, while others have been lucky and are using SP2 with no problems at all. The only way to confirm SP2 as the cause is to remove it and see if your cd drives work after that. The official way to remove SP2 is first use Add/Remove Programs (SP2 should be listed), then do a System Restore using a restore point just before SP2 was installed (if one is available). A much better way, however, is to have created a disk-image before installing SP2, then if you have problems you can be sure that restoring the image will leave no trace of SP2.

leoconnection

leoconnection

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks pip22,
I will try this out this evening and post my experience. I checked microsoft site to find if this problem is listed at all in relation to Win XP SP2, and no surprise, I could not find it there. Thanks again for your reply.

Leo