Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Slowing Up

• Please log in to reply

dmoney3322

dmoney3322

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
I've had my laptop for a year now and have been pretty happy with it, but recently when I attempt to play a system-demanding game it will run smoothly, then get choppy and slow, then run smoothly again. I was able to run these games smoothly on high settings when I first bought my laptop, and now it goes through choppy periods on low settings. I've tried the basic system cleaning and anti-spyware/malvware programs and technigues and was wondering if there was anything else I could do.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Essexboy, 07 November 2010 - 03:42 PM.
log removed

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Have you done a disk defrag recently? If not, do it now. Start >> All Programs --> Accessories >> System Tools >> Disk Defragmenter.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There are a number of matters that need your attention.

1. As above by "phillipcorcoran" When did you last clean up. However do not run a disk defrag, before you have run other utilties. It is no use defragging and then running diskclean up. You run diskclean up first.

2. You are on Vista SP1 - update SP2 and all other critical updates.

3. You are on IE7 - IE8 is far better and has more security features.

4. How much free space on the hard drive please?

HOWEVER the matters which I think are more pressing is to run a chkdsk for file errors ie: chkdsk /f.
This can be done on the grpahical interface chkdsk
See this
http://www.windows-h...sta-chkdsk.html

and then dependant on what the results are run a system file check.
on Start, run, and type "sfc /scannow" without quotes.The other matter that needs your attention is the apparent number of security programs you are running.

5. You have: AVG
You also have Trend Micro Internet security
You have Lavasoft
You also have SpyBot

Do not use - actually active and running more than ONE anti-virus and if the program does not include a Spyware/Adware more than ONE of those. It will slow your system down and cause all sorts of problems, including negating each other.

Then do a clean up.
http://windows.micro...ter-performance

THAT ALL SAID - After you have done this and beacuse I am NOT authorised on this forum to analyse your log from a malware/virus aspect
Go here and if the result is NOT - negative ie: No evidence of Malware follow the advice in the link.
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Edited by Essexboy, 07 November 2010 - 03:43 PM.
removed log data

dmoney3322

dmoney3322

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
Sorry this took awhile but I finally finished all of the steps and when attempting to play a game it once again slowed up after a few minutes of playing smoothly. I have 11.9GB free on drive C, and 38.1GB left on drive D, which all of my games are installed on. I defraged my hard drives, but the problem still persists. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
PLs confirm that you have done ALL including Updates SP2, sorting out your protection, etc.

Have you by any chance run any registry cleaning/ booster programs. - I do NOT want you to do so, I just wonder if you have.

dmoney3322

dmoney3322

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I've finished all of the steps, although, when I ran "sfc /scannow" nothing seemed to happen. Before I originally posted I ran CCLeaner, which claimed to have cleaned my registry, but that was the only cleaning program I used.

Edited by dmoney3322, 11 November 2010 - 01:15 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
System File checker does not report a result. It just completes, unless system files are corrupted or missing and cannt be repaired or found from the hard drive or CD.

DO NOT USE the registry cleaner aspect of CCleaner. DO NOT USE any registry cleaner. Read the link on my signature and you will know why.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you have updated and are NOT now running two anti-virus etc then I think it is best to check the temps.
If the laptop has been used in a dusty atmosphere, even just the normal household environment, when did you last clean the air vents etc.
Have a look at those anyway, a soft brush. and a low pressure air duster spray are ideal.
I feel sure the cleaning instructions will be in the manual.
Download this pls and check the temps. It is alright on 64 bit,
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php