Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice On New Build (haven't built a comp. since '02)

• Please log in to reply

RedSpade24

RedSpade24

• Pip
  • 5 posts
New to the forum. How's it going guys?

I haven't built a computer since 2002. Since then, a lot has changed obviously.

I know what I want to do is possible. I'm questioning the practicality. Also, cost is of concern as well. :D

I play World of Warcraft on a Toshiba Satellite from 2006. It does everything I want it to do, besides WoW. Raiding and certain instances cause a lot of lag. I know it's not from my internet connection. All I'm working off of is integrated graphics and an AMD Turion 64 processor. In my defense, when I bought the laptop, it was not to play WoW ;) Anyways, I've been shopping around for a microATX case, microATX motherboard, processor, RAM, graphics card, hard drive.

Here's my vision: the laptop does well with basic questing and farming. I can go just about anywhere with my toons and not have to worry about lag. However, any raid instance, and a few 5-man instances cause a great deal of lag. I'd like to build a cheap system that will allow me to raid and do pretty much whatever I want to do, that my laptop will not currently let me do. And, while brushing up on the new technology that's come out in the past couple years, I've noticed that HDMI is an option. I have a 42" Vizio LCD TV with a free HDMI port. I would like to utilize this. Thusly, I'd like to place this computer near my TV stand. So, I would like to have a small case that won't look out of place.

Now, eventually, I'd like to get a pretty nice, big monitor, and just have this computer hooked to that. But, for the time being, I think this would be cool to try out. Since most of the raiding I get invited to is late at night, I wouldn't have to worry about hogging the TV when my better half is sleeping. Plus, I think it would be awesome to play on that large of a screen. ;)

I've done some crude research. I've picked a case, motherboard, and processor. I guess what I'm needing is advice and guidance on the rest.

Since this computer will be primarily for WoW, I'm not looking to spend a fortune. If I had to give a price range, I'd say between $300 to $500. If it's worth the money for certain things, I would definitely consider going beyond that.

Here's what I found so far:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision
Case: Sentey SS1-2422 Dark Red Slim Tower LCD Display microATX with ITX 450W Power Supply

I guess my questions are:
Are these parts good and compatible with each other?
Are there better alternatives?
Are there parts that will work better with WoW than these?

I'm kinda clueless when it comes to this. So, any help or advice is greatly appreciated. ;)

Advertisements

RedSpade24

RedSpade24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I think the reason I need some help with this is the microATX part. ATX builds are pretty easy. But, I'm not sure what kind of components I need to look for. Not to mention, power supply choice might be tricky as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey and welcome mate, a nice mATX build in a sweet looking case. Let me know what you think

Troy

[attachment=45934:Capture.JPG]

RedSpade24

RedSpade24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was thinking of a cube moreso than a mid-tower. Since I'm gonna hook it up to my 42" LCD TV, I want it to be in my TV stand. Plus, I want it to be portable for when I go and play WoW with my boys.

I did some recent updating. What do you think?

Case Apevia X-QPACK-NW-BK/420 Micro ATX Cube, 1 Rear Fan, 430W PSU $76.66 xoxide.com

Motherboard
Foxconn M61PMP-K MicroATX, AM3, 4GB RAM Max, DDR3 1333/1066/800" $43.99 newegg.com

RAM Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G DD3, 4GB, 240-Pin, PC10600, 1333Mhz $68.99 superbiiz.com

Processor AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2 Ghz, PCI-Express, Dual Core $88.99 newegg.com

Video Card ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB, HDMI output,PCI-Express $96.94 jr.com

Hard Drive
Western Digital WD5000AADS 500GB cap., SATA2, 32MB Cache $42.90 portatech.com

Reason for the bare essentials is, I plan on adding do this basic package. But, since my laptop runs fine with everything else, I'll keep it. Not to mention, this is really just for playing WoW anyways.

Question on the Video Card: What is the best GPU for WoW? I'm looking for something cheap, with decent texture and shadowing with an HDMI output.

Shanks for the reply.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Definitely need a better quality PSU.

Also for the case, you would definitely need more than just one fan. A bit flat out (actually at work) at the moment but I'll dig around and see if I can find a nice cube case and better PSU to recommend you tonight.

Cheers

RedSpade24

RedSpade24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I know the PSU is weak. It just comes with the case. I was gonna ask about that. I'm thinking maybe a 600W. Perhaps I could recoup a little selling the one that comes with it.

Stupid question: It's just an ATX PSU, right? :D

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Most of them are just ATX size PSU, yes. You should be able to confirm by looking up the case specs to see what type it fits.

At this stage I'm not too worried about whether it's 450W or 600W etc, I am thinking about efficiency rating and build quality, after they pass my strict criteria then I look up Amps on the +12V rail(s) and also wattage.

Cheers

RedSpade24

RedSpade24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok. I'll look in the meantime. Shanks for all the help. It's more than appreciated. I'll find a word for that later :D

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This case looks very nice for a cube (but not the cheapest option), 3 case fans! --> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811112222

Plenty of great power right here for a great price ($30 off) --> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139001

Definitely what I'd be looking at. Cheers.