Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get Java to work

• Please log in to reply

lmeahl

lmeahl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was referred over here by the Malware Removal Forum people. I had a problem with a epoclick redirect virus that had attacked my router. They said to inform you that the machine is clean. However, in the process of cleaning, they had me update Java.

After downloading the appropriate .exe file as they instructed, I attempted to install it. When it is "installing" I get a pop-up box entitled Java Setup that says "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?" If I click "yes", I get a Windows Installer pop-up box that says "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

We went through a process of making sure every little piece of java was deleted from my machine, including hidden pieces. I tried again and got the same message. This is the response from the Malware Removal Forum: "This is a problem with the Windows Installer. Microsoft knows about it, and used to provide, until recently, a "Windows Installer Cleanup utility". It is no longer offered, for whatever reason. There are probably other ways to fix this, but I am not familiar enough with that part of the system. You will need to post about it on a Systems/Hardware forum, where they specialize in that kind of thing. It's a bit far afield for us at MWR. I think your machine is clean, and free of malware."

Can you help me with this?

Thanks,
Linda

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
Right side of page click on the US mirror for download.

lmeahl

lmeahl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, I downloaded that. Now what do I do with it? I'm a tech idiot, so forgive me if that's a stupid question. Thanks for your help!
Linda

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run the program.
Click on the file you downloaded since it is a EXE file and it should run.