Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Problem After Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Ray J

Ray J

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Just upgraded my Dell Inspiron 530 to windows 7 from XP. Had no problems with install transfered my files over and reinstalled all my programs. Have searched and updated all drivers. I now have a repeating tone soound coming from my speakers. 2 seperate tones repeating over and over again. Again I have updated drivers, when I go into Device manager and have Windows search for updated driver, it replies that I have the best driver.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Ray

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am not familiar with the Dell Inspiron 530 but did you check the comaptability of the computer first, before going to Windows7 using the free online Microsoft tool. The reason I ask is that before addressing this particular aspect, you may have other problems.

http://windows.micro...upgrade-advisor

If it passes this assessment is the sound card separate or integrated sound on the motherboard.
Go to Device Manager and find the Sound Video and Game controllers, - post details pls. Any warning on the various listing

see this
http://www.techtalkz...indows-7-a.html

Ray J

Ray J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes I did run the Microsoft Windows 7 upgrade advisor before I installed Windows 7 and it showed no compatibilty issues with any of my hardware. The sound is integrated on the motherboard, Realtek High Definition Audio.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Go to Device Manager and find the Sound Video and Game controllers, - post details pls. Any warning on the various listing

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 November 2010 - 01:48 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://218.210.127.1...3&GetDown=false

The Realtek site, but as always you would be better with the Dell site to compare what is on offer there.
I feel certain it is the driver issue for the actual integrated sound OR a Codec issue.

Ray J

Ray J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Went to the Realtek site downloaded the latest drivers it worked for about 4 hours then the tones were back.
When I go to device manager Realtek High dfinition audio shows up under Sound Video Game Controllers with no warnings. When I right click Realtek Audio and update driver it say's that I the driver is up to date. Anything else I might try before I go and invest in a sound card.

You Help is much Appreciated

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

the Realtek site, but as always you would be better with the Dell site to compare what is on offer there.

The Realtek drivers, do not always work perfectly with every motherboard. Try the Dell site.

If that still produces the problem, then test which activation of the audio causes the error. By that I mean - is it any sound, when the computer has been runnning for sometime. ONLY particular ones, such as those activated on gaming etc.

Then if it is ALL sounds, you will have to start testing temps, mem, etc. However if it was that I would have expected other symptoms, other than just on sound.

Go start programs, accessories, system tools, system information, on Hardware resources, components and sound, check for conflicts and problems.

Whilst in System Information and on the Tools tab, click DirectX Diagnostic Test and on the Sound tab, run the checks.

Ray J

Ray J

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I went to the Del site and tried there drivers no change. Found no conflicts in system tools under sounds. Ran directx diagnostics no problems found. Tried another set of speakers still no change. Ran windows memory test no problems found. I have a dual core processor temps running about 75 degress F. I have all Windows updates and my BIOS is up to date. My antivirus software and antimalware software up to date and has found no problems. I ahve disabled the onboard sound and installed a PCI sound card no change.

The sounds appear as soon as the computer is booted up, but there ahve been times that they were not there upon boot up and the whole time never appeared during that boot, but would reappear in the next boot up.

I have been keeping the system sounds muted so I do not hear the tones, movies music etc sound fine with no problems. Anything else that I can try
Thanks