Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error 317 & win min

• Please log in to reply

blingin67

blingin67

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I do not have that file in my Windows directory, nor can I find any information about it on Google. You can attempt to reset that and see if it fixes the problem, though I have no clue as to what that file does. Just make sure anything you do is reversible.

Advertisements

muzza22au

muzza22au

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Now the problem only gets worse!

I have just decided to hook back up to the internet BUT the computer keeps restarting itself once I start updating some of the spy ware stuff??? Isass is terminating itself?

muzza22au

muzza22au

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK this is a problem! So I have decided to re-format the computer and start from scratch! Luckily everything has been regularly backed-up!
Thanks for your help!

OK the cause of the problem lied in the settings which I foolishly saved and transferred to the "new" formatted hdd!!! Thus resulting in the same problem!!! ie hijacked IE and favourites that are x-rated sites!! Therefore I am re-re-formatting and not keeping any existing settings, and starting from scratch!!! Hopefully I am able to "TELL" my girlfriends mother how important it is to keep everything secure and updated! Including your antivirus and firewalls!!!

Cheers

Edited by muzza22au, 26 May 2005 - 10:06 AM.

blingin67

blingin67

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Yes, the site I was looking at that diagnosed a similar problem involved a user who didn't have any type of anti-virus software or anti-spyware software. I imagine the Cool Web Search situation was the least of her problems. Sounds like there was a lot of things on there that were affecting more than one file.

Sorry we couldn't get it fixed before it started taking over the computer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
geez, you guys are impatient....the malware experts in the link in my signature could have fixed you up in a jiffy

blingin67

blingin67

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Besides the Clean Up program that is listed in that malware post (which only deletes temp files to speed up scanning), the user did run everything else suggested, including anti-spyware and anti-virus software. Even though we did not read that post first, we did pretty much follow all of those steps, to no avail.

It seems the problem may have been not updating and running the various anti-virus and anti-spyware programs until now. Once a virus has settled in and deleted, moved, changed, and/or made files inaccessible, it's very hard to fix the problem. Not impossible, but hard. Prevention is always the best method. Unfortunately that wasn't much of an option here...