Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen, cursor flashing. HELP

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Sorry for responding so late.
Try going to GParted and right click on the /dev/sda1 partition. Then, choose check. Click apply and let GParted try to repair the partition.
Then go into Windows, and see if it will boot.

If this doesn't work, you will have to resort to a recovery: http://h10025.www1.h...e=null&key=null
Under that link, look at Starting a Recovery From the Hard Drive, and the Computer is Off.
Make sure you understand all of the directions before attempting the recovery. If you have any questions, post back here before going further.

Advertisements

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Sorry for responding so late.
Try going to GParted and right click on the /dev/sda1 partition. Then, choose check. Click apply and let GParted try to repair the partition.
Then go into Windows, and see if it will boot.

If this doesn't work, you will have to resort to a recovery: http://h10025.www1.h...e=null&key=null
Under that link, look at Starting a Recovery From the Hard Drive, and the Computer is Off.
Make sure you understand all of the directions before attempting the recovery. If you have any questions, post back here before going further.

I tried the first thing you told me but it wouldnt let me click on Check. Ill try the second thing after I hear from you again.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try clicking on unmount, and then check.
Let me know if that works.

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok first solution didn't work. I was able to click check, and it said it was successful but when i shutdown and restarted, it went back to the black screen with cursor. I'll try the next one. But if I can remember correctly, the F11 key didnt do anything when trying to do system recovery

Edited by nms6454, 23 November 2010 - 08:26 PM.

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ya, it did not work.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Are you running Vista on an HP computer? I am positively sure that you have a recovery partition on your hard drive. Can you look closely at the BIOS splash screens and see if there is any keystroke to activate system recovery. Try F8 as well.
The other option would be to order reinstalltion CDs from HP, but that would be a last resort.

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes vista on HP. It does give me the option to press f11 for recovery but it went it just went to the black screen again. Also, no option for f8 but i pressed it anyways and it did the same.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you try unmounting the Recovery partition on GParted, and running a check on it. It should be labeled /dev/sda2
Then try F11 again and see if the black screen comes up.

I just want to make sure, is all your data and program data safely backed up?

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I transferred all my pictures to a USB flash drive. You told me not to transfer any .exe etc... Because they might have a virus. But all I need are my pics. I will try unmounting

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It wouldn't let me click unmount. By I did Check it and restarted and tried pressing F-11 but didn't do anything and just went to the black screen

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Looks like we have no choice, but to use reinstallation discs. Did you get any Vista discs with your computer? If you installed Vista using a retail CD, then find it.
If you have no discs at all, I suggest you call HP, and ask them for more information about them shipping you recovery discs.