Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding second hard drive, want to make it the boot drive

• Please log in to reply

gibsonsg2121

gibsonsg2121

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I did a search of the website and couldn't find anything that really addressed this.

I built a new system a few months ago, and I have been looking at a second hard drive for space. I have a WD Black 750gb 7200rpm 32mb cache with SATA 3.0gb/s. I was looking at slower, high-capacity drives, but then THIS went on sale.

It is a WB Black 1Tb 7200rpm 64mb cache with SATA 6.0gb/s. My motherboard has SATA 6.0 native. It seems that this would be a much faster drive. So I would like to transfer everything on my current hdd to the new one, and use my old one as storage.

How would I go about this?

I really appreciate your help.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi mate,

Sounds like the best option would be to clone the drives across, then swap boot order in the BIOS and test. Then when you see everything is good you can format the old one and use for storage.

Cheers