Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Would a memory upgrade help?

• Please log in to reply

little87

little87

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am trying to determine whether my grandmother's computer would benefit from having a memory upgrade. It's kind of sluggish but I don't know if that's because of the processor or the memory.

It's a Celeron 2.4 GHz processor
Windows XP
640 MB RAM
In the task manager, under normal usage, it shows there is something like 200 MB of available RAM. I'm inclined to think that it's just slow because it's a Celeron. My Pentium 4 1.6 GHz with 512 MB RAM significantly outperforms that computer.

Any thoughts (other than to get a new computer)?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
Hi little87
Can you provide some more info about the computer, is it a laptop or a desktop, make and model name or series number, we can look at your upgrade options then.
Things that slow your computer down can include its age, the HDD capacity including the available space on it, the amount of programmes set to run at start up, Anti Virus software, the MB only having onboard graphics (this uses system memory) and also don`t forget the dreaded malware/virus threat, these are only a couple of things to consider so the more information you can provide the better.