Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer can't start

• Please log in to reply

bigyin43

bigyin43

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
dell computer , running fine until yesterday, now it won't start , i tried the self repair that it recommended but nothing , it keeps going on and on.

i rebooted using diagnostic and got the error
memory dst 2000-0142.
dell 75 fail

can anyone give any advice on this please

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
1. How old is it, 2. Is it a laptop or desktop computer,3. Is there a beeping sound?

It sound like a problem with the RAM

Edited by Rifat Zaman, 10 November 2010 - 05:34 AM.

bigyin43

bigyin43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
hi , it is a laptop 1535 i think , it is about 2 years old , and i don't usually have the sound on , so never noticed any beeps.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Regardless if the sound is on or off, the motherboard will beep if there is a RAM failure, but I don't think that it is a critical RAM failure, but I do suspect that there is a problem with the RAM, if you are not experienced with laptop hardware, i would recommend taking it to a tech,but if possible, is there any other details about the error that you can post, someone else may have a solution

bigyin43

bigyin43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
just running memory diagnostics to see if it gives me any other clues/problems.

be back when i know more.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
This is what we recommend for memory diags:

Please download Windows Memory Diagnostic,
Save it to somewhere you will remember.

Preparation
After downloading the tool, run it and accept the EULA.
You will be asked to either make a floppy disk or create a CD image.
If you want to use a floppy disk, insert a floppy disk and hit the top button.
If you want to use a CD then hit the bottom button and save the 'windiag.iso' to a place you can remember.
Once you have saved the 'windiag.iso' you will have to burn it to disk, a good program to use is ISO Recorder.

Starting the Diagnostics
Now you should have the CD burnt or the floppy created. The next step will be to run the diagnostics.
Insert your CD or floppy and reboot the computer. You should get prompted to boot from the CD or floppy.
If you didn't get prompted to boot from CD or floppy you will have to change the Boot Order in the BIOS so that CD or floppy comes before the hard drive.

The Results
Once the Diagnostics start running, let it run for about 4 full passes. Preferably overnight.
When the scan has done 4 full passes, or an overnight scan, look at the bottom of the screen.
The bottom of the screen will indicate if any errors have been found.
If errors have been found please check how many under the "results" part of the bottom table.
You can then reboot your machine by pressing the 'X' key.
Please report back with your findings.

bigyin43

bigyin43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
hi couldn't get diagnostics to start on the method suggested , but ran the computer own system check . getting error disk-0 then a block number (various) and error 0F00 0244 during the read section of the check .

and again with error 0F00 1A44 during the verify check .

hope this helps

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
It sounds like a defective hard drive.