Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding new HDD problem

• Please log in to reply

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I am running Windows XP Pro on my C: drive, and using my D drive (Sata 2) for downloads, etc. The D drive is a 500 GB and was getting fairly full. Reluctant to delete my old files, I bought a 1 TB HDD to replace my old D drive.
Set about this task this morning, removed the old D drive with files intact, and installed the new 1 TB (Sata 2) drive in its place. Switched on and restarted Windows which didn't detect the new drive. I used Acronis True Image to detect new drive for which it duly did and called it D.
I then connected my old D drive to my external SATA connectors to copy all my old files over to my new empty drive.
When I connected the old drive to external Sata, it labelled this as F drive but shows as being empty, with around 500 GB free.
OK, so now I'm in a panic, I disconnected my old drive from the external sata cables and disconnected my new drive from the internal sata cables. I then connected my old drive as it was and left the new drive disconnected in the hope that I could transfer this way.
After connecting my old drive same way as it was before I started, it is still showing as F drive and empty.
My BIOS is set to auto detect all drives.
How do I get my files back and transfer them to my new drive?

Advertisements