Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No signal to monitor

• Please log in to reply

Thaigreencurry

Thaigreencurry

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having a problem with my monitor displaying the message "no signal" when I turn on my PC. It happened since getting a BSOD several weeks ago but this may be just a coincidence. I have tried several monitors and they all show the same symptoms so I know the monitors are OK as they work fine on my other computers. I know the computer is working ok because I can still type in my passwords and the hard disc spins and I can connect things like my iphone and it will start syncing.

I sometimes get the PC to wake up the monitor if I take out all the USB cables but this doesn't always work, I have tried removing the graphics card and reinserting and this occasionally works too. I am getting to the stage where I leave the PC on because I know if I turn it off or restart, the monitor will probably not come on.

I updated the driver for the graphics card but this hasn't improved it so I'm at a loss now what to do, apart from try a new graphics card. I currently have a nvidia geforce 8800gt graphics card.

HELP!!!!

Chris

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, I certainly does look like the graphics card is your problem. Can you swap in another card from one of those other computers? Before buying a new card, since the graphics card is often the most power hungry device, I would probably swap PSUs for test first, just to make sure yours is not struggling.