Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HiJackThis error after running AnalyzeThis says xp pro is incompatible

• Please log in to reply

Darlene Stillar

Darlene Stillar

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
HiJackThis scans but when analyze this is clicked i get an error message that if I'm running 98, ? and ME they are not compatible. My desktop is xp pro sp 3. (While writing this grrr I went to task manager and in applications clicked end task and this (firefox) window also closed. Lost all I'd written before. I put hijackthis.exe into a folder in C:hijackthis (read here that's the only way it should be accessed) Okay. When I try running hijackthis it says it's already running. I've ended task in task manager and there it was again just a minute ago, in task manager and processes 'hijackthis.exe is in there. It downloaded fine, scanned but will not analyzethis.

Edited by Darlene Stillar, 10 November 2010 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
HijackThis is no longer recommended by the GeeksToGo malware team. They recommend 'OTL' instead.
Scroll down to "Step 2" on this page: http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Darlene Stillar

Darlene Stillar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
harmful behavior my IP's Security Program wants to block the site claiming it found Harmful Behaviour on it. Should I install it anyway? tyvm I'm going to take no answer as yes, i'm going to install it. :D Installed, ran scan, nothing. But I downloaded OTL twice ;( Put OTL.exe2 in the recycle bin. Ran the scan with no problem, can I delete the one in the bin? OTL is not in my add/remove options. I put OTL.exe in C:OTL.exe ty

Edited by Darlene Stillar, 12 November 2010 - 09:06 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
We are walking on thin ground here because you are not in the malware forum and anyone here in this forum can not give malware advise.

OTL is not a installed program (step 2 as linked to by phillipcorcoran)
It can also be a dangerous program if you do not know what you are doing.
The log is only to be posted in the malware forum when requested.

If you think you have malware you must post in that forum.

Darlene Stillar

Darlene Stillar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I can't get them to work properly that's why I'm thinking here. I accidentally clicked the button that deleted everything that SUPERantiSpyware found. Things are happening. I will let you know what.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The malware techs have specific steps that will uninstall any programs they use.
If you can't get the program to run then I suggest going through the malware steps listed below and let them help you out.
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here