Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't boot: "Load needed DLLs for kernel" error

• Please log in to reply

aaberridge

aaberridge

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have a Dell laptop with XP professional and when I tried to start it yesterday I got a black screen and the error: "Load needed DLLs for kernel". Tried to find some solutions online and found this:

<Lately I read a lot of people are having this error which stops your system from booting.
This is a very awful error which is solved by Microsoft with the solution to do a in-place install from Windows XP. This is a lot of work and I have a much safer and fast solution.
Boot your system from the Windows XP Cdrom and choose to repair your system which will put you in the "Recovery Console" mode.
Now make the following steps:
CHKDSK (which will fix the error(s) on your disk)
BOOTCFG /rebuild (you will rebuild your boot configuration now, just give enters when it asked extra info).
FIXBOOT (to fix your current bootsector)
FIXMBR (to fix your current master boot record).
EXIT (leaves the recovery console and reboots your system).
All should be fine now, however sometimes it is possible that you have to choose which operating system needs to be booted every time you switch on your system.
This can be easily solved when you are in Windows XP:
Go to START > right mouse button on MY COMPUTER > click PROPERTIES > click ADVANCED tab > in startup & recovery click SETTINGS > choose your default operating system which is Windows XP > uncheck TIME TO DISPLAY LIST OF OPERATING SYSTEMS
> click OK > click OK again.
This is all, your system will boot normally again.
I can not understand that Microsoft couldn't figure out this easy solution instead of a in-place install from XP.>

Yesterday I booted from the XP professional reinstallation disk and started CHKDSK from the recovery console. It has been stuck on 25% for about 15 hours and I am reluctant to do anything. Any advice? Thank GOD I just backed everything up like the day before this happened.

Thanks so much for any help. Seriously I have had so much computer trouble lately involving viruses and malware and now this.....I feel like a parent with Munchausens.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
How is chkdsk doing now? I suggest you wait for it to complete, as you might corrupt your file system if it is interrupted.

Look at this article: http://tech.icrontic...pair_windows_xp
It describes the same process you are going through to fix the dll problem.

Do you remember if you installed any new software or changed any settings before this problem started to occur?

Edited by edge2022, 13 November 2010 - 09:28 PM.

aaberridge

aaberridge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
It stops at 25% every time and stays that way for hours/days. I followed the instructions in the link but bootcfg \rebuild gave me this error:
Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.

Started dskchk again but I'm sure the same thing will happen again. It takes a couple hours to get to 25% and then won't budge.
I do not remember installing anything or changing any settings prior to this issue. What types of settings would have to be changed to cause this?

Thanks for your help.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Does safe mode work?
I think that the file system has been corrupted, but not to the point where chkdsk can recognize it as unfixable. Did you try chkdsk /r ?

The only other alternative to chkdsk that I know of is ntfs-3g's disk checking option. It is accessible through the GUI of GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
You can create a GParted boot disk, and try checking your partition for errors from there.

Edited by edge2022, 13 November 2010 - 10:19 PM.

aaberridge

aaberridge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Safe mode does not work, I get the same error.
Tried to run chkdsk /r, got stuck on 25% as well.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go here: http://sourceforge.n...ed-live-stable/ and download the GParted iso file.
Then go here: http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html and download BurnCDCC to burn the iso file to a disc.
Boot with the disc, and right click on the corrupted partition. Click on 'check', and click apply.

aaberridge

aaberridge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
How long does it usually take for GParted to recognize partitions? It has been stuck on that step for 10 minutes.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Hmm... usually Gparted takes around 5 to 10 seconds. Does it move through, or is it constantly getting stuck?
It looks like some really bad corruption. Can you try fixboot and fixmbr from the recovery console.

If all this is not working, a last resort would be trying to use Testdisk to recover the partition table.
http://www.cgsecurit...sk_Step_By_Step
I do not have much experience with TestDisk, but if you are willing to read through some tutorials, you can give it a shot. There is a live CD of it available on the website.