Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Lines during bootup

• Please log in to reply

mike4

mike4

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
When i startup my laptop (Dell Inspiron E1505), it has vertical blue lines across the monitor. Also, they are in pairs of four. The computer will only boot past the loading screen if I disable my driver, which I have reinstalled, still same problem. The lines disappear once I get past the loading screen, but because it requires me to disable my driver, the screen resolution is worse. This occured while I was watching a live stream of a soccer game, the computer froze and I had to power off by holding the power button. I can also get past the loading screen when I go into safe mode, and the lines disappear to. I am currently trying a system restore.

Advertisements

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
any help?

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
That can be a sign of your adapter going faulty or using the wrong type. Have you recently brought a new power adapter or using someone else’s? Although from what you've said. It doesn't sound like an adapter problem.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You can use the graphical interface guidance here
http://www.w7forums....-disk-t448.html
Or you can use this method.
CHKDSK /F:
Run CHKDSK /F from an elevated (Run as adminstrator) Command Prompt
When it tells you it can't do it right now - and asks you if you'd like to do it at the next reboot - answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter. Then reboot and let the test run. It may take a while for it to run, but keep an occasional eye on it to see if it generates any errors. See "CHKDSK LogFile" below in order to check the results of the test.

Elevated Command Prompt:
Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
At the top of the Search Box, right click on Cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"

CHKDSK LogFile:
Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application
log file entry.
Double click on the Source column header.
Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry (wininit for Windows 7)

Then run system file checker. HOWEVER SEE THIS FIRST
http://www.sevenforu...le-checker.html
Type cmd in search

Right click on cmd (do not hit enter)

In cmd type sfc /scannow. This is the method usually used to fix corrupt files

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 November 2010 - 04:15 PM.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I did the CHKDSK /F: and am now scanning my computer. I don't think the CHKDSK /F: returned any bad results. I did do the second part, but when the bar was literally maybe a mm away from being done, it said I needed to insert windows xp cd2, even though I only have 1 cd... So I just click to skip those files, and it finished. Once it was done, the window just closed and didn't tell me anything

Edited by mikewang, 14 November 2010 - 08:38 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The link I sent you tells you HOW to see the results.
If the result is OK -ie: files replaced or repaired 100%
and the system restore did not work, try this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 November 2010 - 07:55 AM.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
oh alright. So I should try the clean startup? What should I do if it works?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So what was the result of the system file check and presumably the restore did not alter matters.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 November 2010 - 03:44 PM.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Currently doing the system file check, and will check if the restore altered anything, though I do not believe it did. And sorry for the confusion, completely my fault, but the computer that has the problem is actually using windows xp 2005 media edition, not windows 7 home premium, that is my other computer, sorry.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
This is a link to Dell driver download page for the "Dell Inspiron E1505" http://support.dell....n&catid=&impid=

You should be able to get the latest video and other drivers from there. If you can boot up into safe mode and get to the desktop then go to add and remove programs and uninstall the video drivers....Then see if you can reboot the pc normally. if so then go to the link above and download and install the latest video drivers and reboot the pc. Post back.

Advertisements

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I did do that, though I'll try it again. And I did the scan and it just closed after telling me I needed cd2, even though I was only provided 1 CD when I bought the computer. And the CD title is microsoft windows xp media center version 2005 with update rollup 2. I don't think the system restore did anything as I still have the blue lines.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

<br />I did do that, though I'll try it again. And I did the scan and it just closed after telling me I needed cd2, even though I was only provided 1 CD when I bought the computer. And the CD title is microsoft windows xp media center version 2005 with update rollup 2. I don't think the system restore did anything as I still have the blue lines.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

I'm not sure what you've done, so lets do this step by step. after you uninstall the drivers, reboot normally and see if it boots up without issue. Your resolution will be off but that's ok. The point is, is to see if removing the drivers fixes the issue. The sfc /scannow asked for the second disk because it was looking for service pack information......The OS is from 2005.. Much has changed if you use windows update. : )

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
okay well I'm currently on the latest update, sp3. And I did uninstall the drivers and reinstall the ones you provided me, but no luck. When I uninstall the drivers, and don't install any drivers it works. I actually haven't uninstall the drivers and tried it yet, but I have disabled them. Will uninstall now and try.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
"?" What video card/chipset do have in that pc? Nvidia, intel or ATi? Make sure you're installing the correct drivers.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I have Nvidia geforce 7300, not sure which, 7300, like LE or SE or etc.. But theres only one option on dell's website. And I tried my computer w/ no nvidia driver installed and it worked, no blue lines once past boot screen, but still blue lines during boot screen. And resolution a little worse, and refresh rate terrible, like everytime I scroll down you can see it refresh.

Oh and btw, thanks to everyone who helped me, or is currently helping me. Really appreciate it.

Edited by mikewang, 16 November 2010 - 10:49 PM.