Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why Does sUBs do it?

• Please log in to reply

Danc20

Danc20

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Does sUBs get anything (besides tremendous jolly) from giving ComboFix to users (who are guided by professionals!) to fight malware? It seems like such a powerful and top-notch program and I just wondered why he would do this instead of making money off of the program. Perhaps sUBs would be the best person to answer this, but I was wondering what other people thought about this.

Edited by Danc20, 13 November 2010 - 06:56 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Obviously I can't speak for sUBs, but I can speak to why most people volunteer here, and elsewhere. Whether it's malware removal or tech support, they enjoy the intellectual challenge, and the satisfaction that comes from helping others. It should be noted that while sUBs does spend a lot of time developing Combofix, there are many others that donate similar time helping in the forums, and/or behind the scenes training others to help.

I'm not sure what your definition of 'professional' is, but to me it implies payment. While certainly experts, everyone here is a volunteer. sUBs and other volunteers accept donations, however there is no expectation of payment. Donations are usually small, and infrequent. Donations may assist a volunteer to upgrade their computer, or take their significant other out for a meal. They don't come anywhere close to compensating them for their time.

sUBs began as all volunteers do, by joining a malware removal school. You can find a list of them at UNITE. sUBs actually started at our school (GeekU), but went on to graduate from another. While helping people with malware infections, he saw a need, and developed a simple tool he called combofix. He's obviously a very talented coder, and as malware evolves he's spent almost every day since working to improve it. His simple tool, has become very powerful and complex. If you've found combofix valuable, consider a small donation to sUBs (direct link to his PayPal account).

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks for your reply Admin.

I never really thought about the similarities of those who offer their free time to help and those who offer free time making programs. I guess many give in about the same effort and time and for the same reasons. The history of sUBs makes that clear. It would make sense that someone so willing to help people would start in the forums, not surprisingly beginning at Geekstogo.

Thanks again for the thoughtful reply, it made me think.

PS: By professionals I mean professionals like you and anyone who helps on a forum who has been trained to use the tool.

Edited by Danc20, 16 November 2010 - 04:46 PM.

HiddenIE

HiddenIE

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Old topic, but nevertheless: Good that I found a link for sUBs so I can donate some to him this week. I have (had) to fill up my paypal account via bank, so it'll be a couple of days though. If that is done, I feel I should donate to OldTimer too.
Is there maybe some index page with donate buttons for the ones that make tools like these possible? Or with helpers and their donation buttons listed?