Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton has locked my laptop !

• Please log in to reply

Slime

Slime

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi fellas,
it's been a while, but now I'm back with a real conundrum.
This will test you methinks!!!
I am currently in possession of a Samsung N150 Plus Netbook running with Windows 7 Starter.
It had Norton AV which I was not going to renew. Before it expired the Norton programme told me that if I don't renew, my netbook may be susceptible to a virus attack.
I didn't renew................the netbook was attacked.
I now can't start the damned thing. I put in my password & it goes to a black screen & a cursor, which I can move, but it does nothing.
After a while, about 5-10 minutes, in the bottom right corner, I got a small pop-up box warning of a virus but that doesn't even come up now. That was followed by a large Norton 360 window warning of some trojan infection, that too does not come up anymore.......just a black screen & an impotent cursor.
When booting up in Safe Mode I get a black screen, a cursor & 'Safe Mode' in all four corners...............apart from that, nothing.
My worry is that without being able to connect to the web, how can this be sorted?
I have no recovery software, the thing doesn't even have a CD drive & I don't believe it's under warranty.
It belongs to a good pal of mine & he has just informed me that after the Norton had expired the netbook got an infection. He'd been sold a copy of Norton 360 v4 but couldn't use it as he had no CD drive!
He then downloaded Norton 360 on line, which took over five hours, and entered the product code that was on the CD version.
Since then it appears that Norton is preventing the machine from running due to the threat from the virus that Norton thinks has infected his machine.
I hope this makes sense to you mate.
Just as an aside, I have just booted it into safe mode with a command prompt if that will help. It is in a box headed ;

Administrator.cmd.exe
and in it is the following;

C:\windows\system32>

I've managed to open Task Manager & tabbed 'Processes' to see what's running.
There is no 'System Idle Process' which I believe is very strange....or is it?
The only processes using any CPU are ;
taskmgr.exe 02 (obviously) and
perfmon.exe 01

Is this relevant?

Many thanks in advance,

Slime.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
If you are at the Command Line you can try system restore and go back to an earlier time:
type:

C:\Windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and hit Enter and folow the prompts.

You can also try :

msconfig

then do a diagnostic boot.

Would be interesting to know if you can get into the registry editor:

regedit.exe

The lack of the desktop is an indication that the file explorer.exe is not running. Check that the file is present:

dir \windows\explorer.exe

What date and size do you see?

Ron