Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Issue or Kaspersky?

• Please log in to reply

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi

We have a tower PC operating windows XP.
I have just tried to upgrade from Kaspersky internet security 2010 to the 2011 version. The upgrade worked fine on our laptop (windows 7) but when the tower shutdown and restarted as part of the installation process, neither the keyboard nor the mouse worked. I assumed (no doubt wrongly) that it was a driver issue & attempted to do a windows repair.
The keyboard was fine during the repair process up to the "Regional & Language options screen" but now it wont work again (nor will the mouse).
So I am left in limbo and can't go anywhere with the repair.

There are no power lights on the keyboard or the mouse. Does this mean that the USB ports are faulty or is Kaspersky somehow preventing them from working.

I really don't know what my next move is.......any help will be very gratefully received.

Thanks

thebarracksfv
High Peak
UK

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you get into the BIOS on boot up to make sure that the USB ports are enabled (tap F8 on boot up, save and exit)
Have you tried replacing the batteries or using another keyboard, preferably the wired type, you could also try the keyboard on your laptop to see if it works on that, other than that you may want to remove the silver CR2032 battery on the MB which will restore the default settings, let me know if you need assistance with that, it may be pure coincidence that this has happened now.

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi

Just got into BIOS and USBs are enabled but I think I have done something to the Boot up ......what should I set as the Boot up defaults?

I have tried a wired mouse and that doesn't help. The keyboard is wired & I have tried both on the laptop.

When I boot up now, I get a message "Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device & press any key".

This could be because I am half way thru the windows repair and have taken the windows xp disk out of the disk drive (because I get to the stage mentioned before and everything effectively is frozen.

I haven't done the battery thing and would need some guidance before tackling that.

Really not sure where to go!!!!

Thanks
Thanks

Edited by thebarracksfv, 14 November 2010 - 12:58 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

what should I set as the Boot up defaults?

For re-installing or repairing XP it should be CD/DVD drive 1st and HDD 2nd.

The keyboard is wired & I have tried both on the laptop.

Did they both work?

This could be because I am half way thru the windows repair and have taken the windows xp disk out of the disk drive (because I get to the stage mentioned before and everything effectively is frozen.

This may be a problem, change the boot sequence in the BIOS to CD/DVD drive 1st and HDD 2nd save the settings and exit, place the XP disk in the drive and restart your computer, follow the on screen instructions.
If this doesn`t work you may have to format the HDD, if you do not have anything you want to keep this is not a problem but if you do it can be, two options use an external HDD enclosure and attempt to copy the data to your laptop or put your HDD into another computer as a slave drive and attempt to retrieve the data, if you purchased a new HDD for your computer you could also attempt to do this.

I haven't done the battery thing and would need some guidance before tackling that.

This is straight forward enough, remove the mains power cord and then the side of the computer, ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the battery for a few moments and then replace it, when you boot up you will need to go into the BIOS and re-set the time and date and then save and exit.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The type of battery you are looking for, this can sometimes be on edge like a coin slot but are more commonly flat.
Thanks to rshaffer61 for the Battery jpeg.

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Sorry for not getting back sooner, life is getting in the way!!!

The keyboard & mouse worked fine on the laptop & as the keyboard works at the early stages of boot up, does this confirm that the usb connection is sound?

Thanks for the advice, but I'm a little confused as to which to do first....

There are lots of things on the hard drive that I don't want to lose and like a prat, backing up properly is always one of those jobs I'm going to get round to....lesson learned.

If push comes to shove, would it be worth picking up a new internal disk drive and loading XP on to that, then setting up the original as a slave unit?

I'm new to this internal tinkering but fairly comfortable following instuctions.

I am just grateful for the help.
It will be weekend before I can get any hardware (and enough time without that life thing getting in the way again).

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries life must go on!

The keyboard & mouse worked fine on the laptop & as the keyboard works at the early stages of boot up, does this confirm that the usb connection is sound?

No, they may have power or driver issues.

If push comes to shove, would it be worth picking up a new internal disk drive and loading XP on to that, then setting up the original as a slave unit?

I think this is your best/safest option, you only need to do it the Slave way if the HDD is the IDE type, if it is the SATA type as long as you have an available SATA socket on your MB you could simply disconnect the old drive whilst you format the new HDD and install a fresh OS on it, re-connect the old drive and attempt to retrieve your data, the boot sequence will need to be changed for this but we can worry about that when you are ready, so there is no rush.
BTW if you let us know what type of HDD you require we can find you some options.

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi

Again, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Hopefully, I can get stuck in this weekend & move this along.
I have checked the make and model of the hard drive.
It is a Maxtor Diamondmax 10 (Model ATA/133 8MB buffer).

I would be grateful for some suggestions as to what new hard drive I should buy. Both Aria & Microdirect in Manchester are within easy reach.
It would also be good for guidance on how to set jumpers as well as installing XP (which I have never done from scratch before).

Thanks in anticipation

Edited by thebarracksfv, 20 November 2010 - 05:29 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
This one will do http://www.microdire...rive-Caviar-IDE
Your HDDs may have a diagram on them showing how to set the jumper cap, you will need to go into the BIOS tap F8 and change the boot sequence to CD/DVD drive 1st and the HDD second, save your settings, tap F10 and exit, place your XP disk in the drive and restart your computer, follow the on screen instructions, remember to format the new HDD before you install XP on it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you are going to buy a new hard drive and leave your original alone, you would just change drive positions on the cable.
Verify the jumpers between the new drive and your original (usually defauletd to CS cable select).

Do not attache the "old" drive to the system yet. That prevents confusion as to which drive. After all we don't want you to format the wrong drive.

Advertisements

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi

Spent Sunday & last night getting new drive into shape.
We are up and running now and the old drive is installed as a slave drive. It has been recognised as a new piece of hardware by the PC but I can't see it in either "My Compuer" or Explorer.

Do I need to do something else in order to see it's content?

Many thanks for your help so far....hopefully we are close now!!

Edited by thebarracksfv, 23 November 2010 - 12:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi again, have a watch of this video check and see if you have overlooked anything.

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi & thanks for the video.
As far as I can tell, everything looks ok. The guide for the jumpers on the slave hard drive says that no jumpers are needed. I have removed the jumper but there appears to be a 2nd fixed jumper over a single pin. I have tried to remove it with tweezers but it does appear fixed.
As suggested in the video, I paused breaked the start up screen and the following was displayed...
Autodetecting Pri Master - ide hard drive
Autodetecting Pri Slave - ide hard drive
Autodetecting Secondary Master - CD Rom

It then listed the 3 components by name (which I guess means it does recognise them).
Both of the hard drives also say " Ultra DMA mode 5, SMART capable but disabled...I have no idea what this means or if it's important?

I couldn't work out how to get into the CMOS set up...delete didn't work for me as it did on the video.

I'm not sure where to go next......

Thanks again

Edited by thebarracksfv, 23 November 2010 - 02:55 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
When you restart your computer keep tapping the F8 key and it should get you into the BIOS, this should identify the two HDDs and tell you what their storage capacities are.
Can I ask how you managed to get the operating system on the new HDD without changing the boot sequence to CD/DVD first and HDD second? (you need to get into the BIOS to do this).
If you make any changes in the BIOS and you are happy with them you must save the changes and exit the BIOS, tap F10 to do this.

Jordan Bennett

Jordan Bennett

• Pip
  • 1 posts
go to bios and check up usb portals