Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Issue or Kaspersky?

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
No problem, when you are ready.

Advertisements

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Managed to reschedule things to try your suggestion.
The ex-slave has been recognised in the BIOS as a secondary drive but in Computer Mgt, we are no better off. I have attached a screen print again but, in short, we are still being asked to partition the drive????

This is starting to look a bit bleak.

On a positive note, I can now change and set up a hard drive quicker than ever before!!!!!Attached File  V2.bmp   158.26KB   161 downloads

Edited by thebarracksfv, 28 November 2010 - 12:46 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
It does look like the original HDD itself may have some sort of issue, before admitting defeat the last thing I can suggest is putting the CD/DVD drive back as it should be and then disconnect the new HDD altogether and install the original HDD as Primary Master, if it works ok then connect your new HDD as the Slave and see if you can transfer the data that way, I know it is a lot of messing about but I don`t know of anything else to try, if the original HDD doesn`t show up it may suggest it has issues namely "read" issues.

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
OK, I will have a crack at that.
Way back when, with the original hard drive in place, it was asking me to insert the XP disk.

I'll just see what happens!!

Cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
This would suggest that the HDD had issues, usually it is a sign of a corrupt or unreadable OS and so it goes to the next boot choice which can either be the CD/DVD drive or on some computers the floppy drive if they have one.

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I have tried reverting back to the original and, as half expected, we are back to the same problem with booting.
I know that the IT technician is coming in to work tomorrow so I am going to give him the hard drive to see if he can work some magic.

Thanks for your support.
I'll let you know what happens

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
Looks like the HDD does indeed have issues but hopefully the Tech will be able to help somehow.
Should you need or be able to use it http://download.cnet...4-10753287.html some more options here http://www.snapfiles...tarecovery.HTML and here http://3d2f.com/tags...sh/disk/repair/ incidentally have you reassembled the computer again with the HDD as the slave?

Edited by phillpower2, 29 November 2010 - 12:45 PM.

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I will check out the links in due course.
I have reassembled the PC with the new hard drive as the master and will give the old one to the tech guy to play with....at least this way, we have 2 pCs for the kids to do what must be done!!

Cheers