Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Laptop won't start without crashing.

• Please log in to reply

ChadTheGeek

ChadTheGeek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, my warranty ran out on my laptop and it will not start. It has windows vista installed. It comes to the black screen where it says windows failed to start. The options are: start windows normally or Launch startup repair. No matter which one I click it will show a loading bar with the words microsoft corporation under it, and then the notorious blue screen of death pops up. The blue screen says "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" and then further down the screen it says "Technical information:*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x84406528, 0xC000014F, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)". It tells me that i should remove newly installed hardware but I can't even get into the computer to do that. There isn't a safe mode option either. Thank you so much for your help! :D

PS: It is a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop

Edited by ChadTheGeek, 14 November 2010 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome, Chad

The "Unmountable Boot Volume" accompanied by the error code "0x000000ED" is often a sign that the hard drive has failed, in which case it will have to be replaced with a new one. You can test the drive for failure by downloading diagnostic software from the drive manufacturer's website (using a working PC of course) and creating a bootable CD from the downloaded file. You then boot the laptop from this CD to test it's drive.

If you don't know the brand of the drive & you don't wish to remove it to find out, you can use "SeaTools for DOS" from Seagate which they say can be used to test any brand:

Download the "Seatools for DOS" iso image and create a bootable cd with it by using "Nero" or similar software which is capable of writing an iso image to a cd (don't simply copy the iso file to a cd as that won't be any good. It must be written to the cd as an image. With Nero you would select the option to "Burn Image" then select the file).

Seatools for DOS is here: http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD