Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Renovating PC, won't boot

• Please log in to reply

bstern287

bstern287

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Pentium 4 on a asus p4sp-mx. when i boot the computer, it shows nothing on the monitor (have tried multiple monitors) and, instead, just beeps for about 5 seconds. it stops beeping, then 10 seconds later, beeps again... and so on. sometimes i hear the hard drive, sometimes i dont. when i connect the optical drive, which is a sata with an ide adapter, the drive spins for a second then stops. ive gone back through the manual and made sure that everything is connected properly. i've tried multiple power cords, which the seller suggested had been an issue, but it still won't boot. ive replaced the ide cable between the hard drive and the motherboard. i put in a new 1gb ram (ddr pc 2700) and kept the 512 mb stick that was in there, and have tried booting with each ram stick. the power supply is relatively new, so i don't think that needs replacing. what do you think? any suggestions?

Edited by bstern287, 14 November 2010 - 03:18 PM.

Advertisements

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
The beeps you are getting is an error message from your motherboard. If you have the manual for your motherboard you should be able to look up the error. There's something not installed properly or you have hardware damaged. The manual will tell you what the problem is. Have a look at the error codes.

I doubt it's the hard drive as you should get BIOS pop up whether you've installed a hard drive or not.

Edited by MikeMason, 14 November 2010 - 03:08 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you tried to bench test the Motherboard by doing the following?

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
* case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

Hook up the very basics, a "bench test":

* Remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a piece of cardboard
* Install only the CPU with heatsink and fan (remember to use thermal paste and plug in the fan)
* Install only 1 stick of ram in dimm 1 (consult your motherboard manual for which slot is to be used)
* Hook up the Power Supply (there should be a 20 or 24pin connector, and a 4 or 8pin connector)
* Use onboard video, (if not available, use a video card)
* Use any momentary case switch, or have your case close enough to install it's case switch
* Make sure there is a case speaker connected, many modern motherboards have a onboard speaker
* Connect a ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
* Power the system on

DO NOT hook up the hard drive, CD/DVD, case fans, lights, or anything else not mentioned above.

If the system does not power on, replace the 1 stick of RAM with the other stick. Are you getting any kind of beep codes? Do you get any video? Can you get to the BIOS? (Consult motherboard manual on how to enter the BIOS for your motherboard) Do the fans remain on, but no video?

bstern287

bstern287

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, everyone. Regarding the previous post, I have gone through those steps. I get fans but no video. I get long beeps, endlessly, with either stick of RAM. It's award bios, and my research has suggested that long repetitive beeps indicate a memory program, but that doesn't make sense considering I have two sticks, both of whcih are compatible, and one of them is brand new. I've tried it with a graphics card inserted as well, to no avail.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
May not be the memory actually. It could be a faulty memory slot. :D