Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Retail or OEM choice

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
We just acquired a new pc and now need to add an office suite. Office 2007 seems to be acceptable for our needs. However I can't decide on OEM (huge cost savings) or retail. If my hard drive should die, will I be able to install the OEM on a new hard drive with out problems? Will the retail be a better choice for this possibility. If I choose the OEM, can I either back it up to an external drive or clone it as a hedge against future disasters?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most OEM licences permit usage on one machine only.
Most Retail licences permit usage on typically three machines.

Apart from that there is absolutely no difference between the software.
Providing you have your disk and your key, you can activate and use it within the terms of the licence until the cows come home.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Also, the FREE OpenOffice Suite does pretty much everything Office 2007 does and is compatible with those file formats.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Also, the FREE OpenOffice Suite does pretty much everything Office 2007 does and is compatible with those file formats.

Be that as it may, it wasn't the question in the first place.
The OP had an enquiry about OEM and Retail software, to which OpenOffice doesn't belong to either group.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Don't be so picky about the original question and what I reply with. I gave additional information should they want to use a free office suite instead of purchasing Office 2007. You already answered their question and I just provided additional information for something they may want to use instead. Next time you want to complain about my answer, PM me.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I agree with Neil Jones. The original poster asked for advice regarding two Microsoft Office options, not alternatives to using it.

Open Office Suite does not equal Microsoft Office. To suggest otherwise is misleading. It's especially true in situations where files may be shared with other MS Office users.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
We didn't consider OPen Office due to the lack of Publisher type software. With OEM and Retail being equal products, I need to verify that the software will reinstall if we purchase a larger hard drive or in a doomsday hard drive crash requiring a hard drive replacement I have heard of cloning software so I wondered if the only "insurance" was to clone the drive before any problem arose.

Edited by Janis, 16 November 2010 - 05:58 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Providing you have your disk and your key, you can activate and use it within the terms of the licence until the cows come home.

Technically, you are supposed to be a licensed system builder to purchase OEM software, but obviously retailers find ways around that requirement, and MS turns a blind eye. Also OEM software is licensed to the original machine it's installed on, and cannot be transferred to another machine. Hard drive replacement is no problem. Generally up to 3 major components can be replaced. The final major difference is that the system builder is supposed to support their OEM software, so there is no support offered from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft...ensing_faq.aspx

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
P.S. You don't need to worry about "insurance". If you call Microsoft with an activation issue, I've never heard of them refusing activation for legal software.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

I agree with Neil Jones. The original poster asked for advice regarding two Microsoft Office options, not alternatives to using it.

Open Office Suite does not equal Microsoft Office. To suggest otherwise is misleading. It's especially true in situations where files may be shared with other MS Office users.

Sorry, but OO is usable if the file sharing is done using the correct Microsoft format. There is NO problems if this is paid attention to. I did NOT say OO is equivalent to Office. Said, "does pretty much everything Office 2007 does and is compatible with those file formats". And it IS compatible with the file formats. I have both and do not have any problems interacting between the files with either program.

I think you all are being too picky and complaining about my post which should have been done in a PM and not in the forum itself. I was only trying to help by providing an alternative should OP WANT to use it. Did not expect to be blasted for trying to help here!!!!

Edited by AstraNut, 16 November 2010 - 09:03 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also as a note, unless cost is an issue, have you not entertained skipping office 07 and going straight to office 2010? there have been significant changes in 2010 over every previous version of office. I'm using it now and it's really nice.