Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help & Support Centre won't run

• Please log in to reply

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

I am recovering a friend's computer following a virus attack (despite up to date AV software, etc).

So far, I had to:-

Use a hard drive enclosure to check the files were intact and readable.
Put them back in the laptop and use FIXMBR to restore the boot sector because it wouldn't even try to load Windows (just a flashing cursor).
Remove SP3 to get most of the essential services (eg. DNS, Print Spooler, System Centre, Firewall) to start running.
Re-install the video drivers.
Re-install SP3
Because it went back to IE6 (though not working correctly), I upgraded to IE7 but this software wouldn't work either (Thankfully IE8 is working fine).
Also the search for files feature wasn't working - this was fixed by one of the Windows Updates (not sure which one)

The only thing I can't sort is the Help and Support Centre, which says the service is missing, because it's not listed in services.msc at all. I've searched the web high and low but not been able to find the answer that works. The original Windows Media Centre CD isn't available, but I do have my XP Home and Pro ones if they contain the files required.

Please can you help me because he needs the laptop back, fully working, on Wednesday late afternoon, and this is the one sticking point.

Regards,
Julia

Advertisements

Jkc73

Jkc73

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hello juliaatgeekstogo ;)

Is this the same system as posted here ?

If it is not, could you please let us know what type of system this one is, thanks.:D

Next please enter Event Viewer.

• Click Start > Run... > type eventvwr in to the Open box > press Enter
  • In the left panel, select System
  • Above in the menu bar, select view > filter
  • Under Event Types, deselect Information and Warning. Make sure Error is selected.
  • Click Apply then Ok
  • Click Action > Export List (save as txt file, and save to the desktop)
Please attach the txt file in your next reply.

Regards,
Jkc73 ;)

Edited by Jkc73, 15 November 2010 - 05:07 PM.