Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

files disappear from flash drive

• Please log in to reply

cocacola.0000

cocacola.0000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a 32GB flash drive. all computers recognize it and show a drive for it. It has been formatted(FAT32) a couple of times to tackle the issue.
when files are copied on the root directory of the flash drive, they are retained. when a directory with files are copied, and the flash dive is unplugged, the either all files within the directory are lost and a blank directory remains.
Or the whole of the directory disappears. one to notice is that after copying the files, when i click on the flash-drive in windows explorer, i can see them. when unplugged and replugged again on the same or different computer, they are gone.
Please advise.

Advertisements

beep9362

beep9362

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
are you waiting long enough to copy the directory to USB, before unplugging it? Are you using the little icon on the taskbat to Safely remove USB?
The directories are always appearing when copied right away on a drive, but the process of writing all files into it, does take timee.

cocacola.0000

cocacola.0000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have used "Safely Remove USB" - but havent tried the waiting for some time to copy. Again, files at the root level get copied, even if i unplug the usb immediately after the copy. i shall try to wait for some time after i copy a directory to my flash drive, before unplugging it.