Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

To Repair XP or Re-install XP .....

• Please log in to reply

yumphla

yumphla

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi – I’m not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, so apologies if this is in the wrong place, but here goes.

My parent’s computer has been badly infected (despite my best efforts at implementing security measures for them) by Think Point malware to the extent that it does not now boot up, even in safe mode. I have had help with a similar incident for this PC in the past on this forum, and I know that I would be able to find help which would lead to the safe removal of the software.

However, as they are running on XP, I was wondering would it be quicker and easier to perform a system repair or even re-install the system completely and start from scratch. Most of the important files are saved on an external hard drive, but there may be some that are not on there. The thing is, over the years (the PC is about 6 or 7 years old) there have been a lot of unnecessary files and applications installed – and most of these would need cleaned out anyway, as the PC is becoming very slow and cumbersome. I was just thinking that this may be an easier way to do both things (remove the infection and clean out the unwanted programs) at once.

If I run the repair utility and save the files for the meantime just to check if there are any important files there, should this, in theory also remove the infection? (my instincts say it wouldn’t, for the record). And if I reinstall XP and start from scratch, will this remove the infection?(I am 99% sure it would).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I think what I am really asking is: would it be a valid strategy to repair first, save what files I can (if any), then re-install and start from scratch?

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here