Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hal.dll error message

• Please log in to reply

lcadle

lcadle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
tried to start my pc and got an error message windows - root system 32 hal.dll missing or corrupt. Please re install a copy of the above file. So I put the XP disc in and hit F12 and selected CD drive. pressed a key and windows Setup started and once finished I hit R to use recovery console (following instructions posted online) and then the problem - i do not get a prompt to select windows all I get is C:\>
HELP :D

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
C:\> is windows (assuming windows was install on your drive C)

Insert the Windows CD and start the computer.

When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R.

Type a number corresponding to the Windows installation you wish to repair (usually 1) and press Enter.

When prompted, type the administrator password and press Enter (if no password just leave blank and press enter).

At the command prompt, enter the following commands./ (The example commands assume that C: is your Windows drive. Change the drive letter if appropriate.)

ATTRIB -H -R -S C:\BOOT.INI
DEL C:\BOOT.INI
BOOTCFG /REBUILD FIXBOOT

Remove the Windows XP CD from the drive and restart the computer.

If this does not resolve the problem:

Repeat the instructions above to boot to the recovery console and log on as administrator.

At the command prompt type the following command:

EXPAND D:\I386\HAL.DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL
(Assuming D: is your cd/dvd-rom, if not use the proper drive letter)

Hope this will help.

Please note:
OEM versions of Windows XP, including computers that were supplied with Windows XP preinstalled, may not have this utility, so the following steps may not work:

For more complete detail please see this link:
http://www.tech-pro....ng-corrupt.html

Edited by Alzeimer, 16 November 2010 - 04:12 PM.

lcadle

lcadle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks so much - I will try that. I will not delete anything will I? I have it all backed up thankfully.