Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wanting to upgrade my 2007 system

• Please log in to reply

Honelith

Honelith

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My system is as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3GHz Socket AM2 2MB L2 Cache,
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe,
Seagate ST3320620AS 320GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache,
OCZ 4x1Gb DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory ATI Crossfire Certified CL4(4-4-4-15) Unbuffered,
Force3D HD4870 Black Edition 512MB GDDR5.

I considered upgrading to:

Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 AMD 880G AM3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Dual Core. (Or maybe a AMD CPU Phenom II 965 Black Quad Core instead?)
And 2x2GB 1600 RAM, hadn't decided which one yet.

I would then transfer over the rest of the parts, the HD4870 included and have myself a nice newer system, I mainly play first person shooters on this PC, Bad Company 2 and Black Ops, so I want to get the best performance out of both games. But I'm also considering keeping the PC parts, and simply upgrading the graphics card, while the 512MB on the 4870 is fast, I would much rather have a 1GB graphics card for todays games. I like the look of the GTX 470 or the Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition, the HD5870 is a little too much to pay so I won't be getting that.

Would anyone recommend what I should do, upgrade the CPU/RAM/Motherboard or the graphics card? Would my CPU/RAM still do well for todays gaming with a newer graphics card, or do I ditch the CPU/RAM and keep my HD4870?

Thankyou! :D

Edited by Honelith, 17 November 2010 - 03:33 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Honelith :D
Two important things you have not mentioned in your OP, 1: Your budget 2: Your PSU specs.
1: As you will know computer hardware here in the UK is expensive compared to Newegg in the US and Canada, so we need a budget to work with or we could be making the wrong suggestions.
2: Again without knowing the quality and output capabilities of your present PSU we could make the wrong suggestions, for example the card I recommend at the link I have attached requires a 500W minimum PSU for a single card, if you then considered running two cards in SLI then the minimum PSU requirements would be significantly greater, heres the card I suggest; http://www.novatech....XGH6HS3GXW.html and use this link http://www.corsair.c...er/default.aspx to calculate the PSU you would require to power any potential upgrades.
Anyhow let us know your PSU specs and we can take it from there, I hope you find the info above helpful.

Honelith

Honelith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, and thanks for the response. I have a Coolermaster IGreen 600W PSU - 85% Efficiency, I don't like SLI/Crossfire so I only use a single card. My budget is around £350, or roughly $580. After some more thought, I figured upgrading my CPU/RAM/Motherboard would allow me to get a newer graphics card at a later date and it would be more beneficial for me to upgrade my CPU/Board and keep this graphics card until then, rather then keeping my current CPU/board and getting a newer graphics card.

I'm ever so tempted for that GTX 460, but if I hold off, no doubt I'll get something better.

So, this is what I may upgrade to;

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3, AMD 880G, I like my Deluxe boards. :D
G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Ripjaw Memory Kit CL7

Think that will be fine? I've been out of the loop for over 3 years as I've been happy with this system I built, but figured I should get upgraded at long last.

With my Black Edition HD 4870, I reckon I should get a much smoother play out of Bad Company 2, or hoping so over my current setup! ;)

Thankyou! ;)

Edited by Honelith, 18 November 2010 - 06:37 PM.