Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the best AV for a DUN user?

• Please log in to reply

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Which AV would you suggest for a DUN user?

I currently have AVG 9 Free, (53MB) which is doing a fine job, and I am happy with it. The issue that I am going to be facing, is when it is time to upgrade AVG 9 Free to AVG 10 Free, the file is JUST HUGE 136 MB big, and it is totally impossible to dl for one, and so I did burn it to a CD from a hi speed computer at the library, but I have not installed it because I am hearing a LOT of people are having issues with it on XP. ;)

Well, I have XP..I don't want to be one of them :D I was wondering, what you all thought of these two? Avast! or Avira? The pros and the cons?

Maybe I should list what I am looking for:

A free AV that would do the following:
  • Resident Shield
  • Anti Virus
  • Scan e-mail
  • Update Manager
  • DUN User Friendly.

I also have PC Tools Firewall Plus, running, and that has been very user friendly, and i have had no problems with it.

I do have Windows XP Pro SP3 and am on a dial up connection. Yes, they do still exist ;) What are your ideas?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My setup includes the following:
  • Avast Free Home Edition
  • Malwarebytes
  • SuperAntiSpuware
  • Windows Firewall

Please be aware it doesn't matter how good the protection there are dozens of new infections introduced everyday.
Your surfing habits and downloading habits will help in the protection you have.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Well, it looks like a tie! rshaffer61, I agree with the surfing habits and downloading habits, of course. I am the only one on this machine, and I would like to ask you, are you on a dial up connection?

I don't use the Windows FW on XP, I use PC Tools FW. It has been very good, and I can keep track of what is coming in, and going out much better than with Windows FW.

I have found, tho, what works well on a hi speed connection, doesn't necessarily work for a DUN. Just a for instance, I had Trend Micro Internet Security before the AVG. OK, it was GREAT.. Until, they upgraded it, and the only way I could do the upgrade, was to dl it. Well, that is not so easy on a DUN.. Which is why I asked the question in the first place. Just looking for some input as to what other DUN users are using, and what their opinions of these are. I am sort of 50/50 to each, so wouldn't take much to convince me. ;) Thanks, I will consider some more :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I am the only one on this machine, and I would like to ask you, are you on a dial up connection?

Cable broadband but I started on a 33.6 dialup connection years ago.

I don't use the Windows FW on XP, I use PC Tools FW. It has been very good, and I can keep track of what is coming in, and going out much better than with Windows FW.

:D I have no problems with that. I used PC Tools years ago myself.

Avast does it's thing in the morning and usually about this time at night.
It does it in the background so you don't even know it but I'm sure on a DUN you would see some spped loss for the minute or two it is updating it's virus definitions. It uses very little system resources which in turn will not slow your system down.

I'm not saying it's the best but only as a suggestion.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Thanks, rshaffer61 , and that 33.6 dial-up is a whole lot more than my 21.6! ;) Yeah, I am sure i will see slow downs with the updates. No more than on the AVG tho. Any idea, what size the file is? I didn't see it in the specs. Also, is there only a installer to download, or can I download the entire file to my download manager, then remove the AVG and install the Avast Free Home Edition form the download manager, while off line? :D

How did you get around these annoyances?

The registration must be renewed every year or definition updates will stop, annoying. The latest version received a much needed new interface, unfortunately it also comes with nagging ads to upgrade to the paid version, more annoying. Unless you opt-out, setup will install the Google Chrome browser. Too much annoyance.

Another question, why not "Microsoft Security Essentials: - Recommended!" Just curious, as I was reading, it did say "Recommended". Yeah, I think this is going to come a lot sooner than I had thought. ;)

PS: rinapu, If Avira is better, why can't I find a download for it?

Edited by Tee*Cee, 19 November 2010 - 09:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The registration must be renewed every year or definition updates will stop, annoying. The latest version received a much needed new interface, unfortunately it also comes with nagging ads to upgrade to the paid version, more annoying. Unless you opt-out, setup will install the Google Chrome browser. Too much annoyance.

Not sure where you saw this but I have never had to worry about installing of anything other then AVAST. To renew once a year to get the great protection is worth the couple of minutes it takes.
As far as the Google chrome issue I have never seen this.
Avira and Avast downloads are both below in my signature.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello rshaffer61 , thank you for the info. Yes, a few minutes is well worth it, absolutely. Where I saw that info, was :

HERE

3. Avast! Antivirus:
Second Paragraph reads:

While still one of our favorite free antivirus, previous versions only required email registration. The registration must be renewed every year or definition updates will stop, annoying. The latest version received a much needed new interface, unfortunately it also comes with nagging ads to upgrade to the paid version, more annoying. Unless you opt-out, setup will install the Google Chrome browser. Too much annoyance.

Yes, I see all the downlands under your sig., ;) , but I was looking at the main download page, above. Just didn't see it there. I will have to do some more investigating I see! Thanks for your input. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Opt out just means you unclick a box to not install the google chrome.
I have been using it for almost 2 years now with no problem.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi rshaffer61 , I know that, thanks! I am trying to find out the size of the file, and if I can download it to my download manager, the full file, and install while off-line? That way, I can remove AVG 9, reboot, then install without having to go online with no protection. Possible, maybe?

EDIT: You are using the Free edition, right?

OK, I got it started, 49.1 MB, :D and my Free Download Manager is picking it up. I'll have to close my browser, so it can pick up the file a little quicker. These slow connections are a bear when it comes to dl-ing a file!

Thanks, rshaffer61, for all your help! I'll remove the AVG once I have this file all downloaded, then install it. Have a GREAT evening! ;)

Edited by Tee*Cee, 20 November 2010 - 06:01 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Avast Version 5.0.677 is 49.13 mb in size from HERE :D

Advertisements

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Avast Version 5.0.677 is 49.13 mb in size from HERE :D

Thank you, even better! When I see you again, I will be AVAST! ;)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK let us know what you think of the interface and how it work for you. :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Good morning, rshaffer61, I managed to download 42.5 MB last night, and it is erroring out on me this am, so I am going to have to start the download all over again. RATS! At least I have a better connection this morning! I'll keep ya posted! Thanks!

Well, that didn't go well. I am going to go to town tomorrow, and burn it to a CD at the library. That has got to be less aggravating. I keep getting "bad request" and the dl manager stops. The CD should work.

Edited by Tee*Cee, 21 November 2010 - 08:48 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah I never had much luck with DL managers. That was one of the main reasons I went to broadband. I do feel your pain though very much. :D

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi rshaffer61, I really had good luck with mine, up until this dl. but normally it does pick up real well. I think it has to do with the DUN, tho, and if I could get broadband, I would, but this is all that is available to me ;) It is either a DUN or NONE! ;) Anyhow, will see how things go. I never got a error like that before, but if I had stayed up ONLY 30 minutes longer last night, I would have had it! ;) Well, thems the breaks, I guess, and all in good time!! Have a great evening! :D