Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD is GONE?

• Please log in to reply

European

European

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hmm, a friend of mine desinstalled a program on my pc (a dvd reader) and we think he desinstalled some other stuff too...

I don't know anything about computers, so I need you guys to help me.

A) When I go to "My Computer" - The CDRW/DVD drive is GONE. Its no longer there...

B) When I go to "remove hardware" there is a yellow "!" next to "SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B/T900" ...

C) When I want to "add this hardware" using the "add hardware" in START, I get:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

D) A friend of mine who build this piece of junk got me a program; This is the read file:

"¢À How to upgrade firmware ¢À

1. Download the attached "Bin file(firmware)" and "Sfdnwin.exe file(download
program)" into a temporary folder.

2. When you run "Sfdnwin.exe", Pop-up window will appear. you can see your ROM-
drive(s) in the Pop-up window.
Then choose the drive whose firmware you want to upgrade.
ex)Drive:SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B/T900

3. You will see three icons on the top from left.
If you click the first icon from left, you can see "Investigation window" then open
the firmware file that you already downloaded to the temporary folder.

4. You will see the message" Ready" after finding the firmware file that you want.
Then click the middle icon on the top of left. Then your firmware will be upgraded
automatically.

5. When you finish upgrading firmware , reboot your pc automatically.

¡ØSfdnwin.exe : A program which can make your drive download our firmware(s) in Windows.
(It's for only Windows) "

E) Problem:
"When you run "Sfdnwin.exe", Pop-up window will appear. you can see your ROM-
drive(s) in the Pop-up window." ======== DOES NOT HAPPEN! :tazz:
There are no Rom drives in the pop-up window, so I can't do anything.

So this is where I am today (can't read my movies... ;) can't play my games)

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
you can try going to google and searching (download windows cd-rom drivers) reply if it still doesn't work

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The reason you can't use the firmware update is because windows can't see the drive. Forget about firmware for now, it won't resolve your problem anyway.

First thing to try is this.

Reboot the system & go into the bios. make sure your dvd drive is detected correctly in there. (ask me if you don't know how to access the bios).

If bios recognises drive, can you perform a system restore? This requires a suitable restore point (a point just before your friend removed all this stuff off the machine would be preferable.)

If you can't run the system restore etc, then next step is to boot the system in safe mode. (again ask if you don't understand what I mean by safe mode).

Open device manager & delete any entries for the DVD drive that are in there.
Reboot normally & see if xp redetects & reinstalls the drive