Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc wont boot after burninig smell

• Please log in to reply

Ezduzit123

Ezduzit123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer cut on for half a second and then cut off. Shortly after there was a bad burning smell coming from my computer. It would not turn back on. I've taken everything apart and examined eveything. Nothing looked burned. I have tried plugging everything in one by one into my board and it won't fire up. there isn't any power getting to the motherboard at all. The green light will not light up. I've looked at my CPU and it didn't look burned, or effected in any way. I have narrowed it down to either the motherboard or the power supply. Do you think I am correct with thinking this? I am going to buy both (motherboard and psu) to test them both together and seperately. Am I going in the right direction?

What is a good or better replacement for the asus p5ql pro that is just as efficient and reliable?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Ezduzit123 :D sorry to hear you are having this trouble.
You may be partially correct, the symptoms are the classic signs of a failed PSU (power supply unit) the trouble is that sometimes a failed psu can take out other components, MB, CPU, Ram etc but hopefully not in your case.
I suggest you do not attempt powering the system up again, just in case, then if you can loan a known good psu to try and see if your system boots.
The specs I can find for your PC do not list your psu details, but unless you have upgraded it I suspect it will be a low quality and low power type such as a 300/350W Bestec type, can you post your psu specs for us!
You can do a basic test on your psu to see if it activates at all but even if it does power up it does not prove it is working properly, to test your psu, remove the power cord from the wall, remove the side of the pc case and then remove the psu> follow the advice at this link http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html keep us posted

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Stick you nose in the back of the PSU and see of you can smell "that" smell. But in any event, I suspect the PSU, and regardless, I would not use it until the PSU is properly tested. A bad PSU can take out anything it plugs into.