Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

probably simple solution to a connection problem

• Please log in to reply

olias

olias

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've recently been upgraded to a 1.1Mps broadband by Virgin. When I,m connected it is quick but the [bleep] thing keeps dropping the connection. Last night was a nightmare but tonight it hasnt done it (yet). Virgin have said that as I am running an extention off what is effectively another extention this is the problem and I need to up date with a RJ11 cable direct to the main phone socket. It would be easier for me to use a wireless system if possible but I only have one computer and one internet connection and all the available products seem to be for multiple users and I'm a bit confused with what i need to buy.
Please advise me somebody. Many thanks

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
So are you using dsl or dialup? All you need is a wireless router and a wireless card for your computer so it can communicate with the router. You have to make sure to get a dsl router if you use dsl though and a broadband one if you use cable.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

olias

olias

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
many thanks for the reply. I am on adsl. Any recommends as to the best package to get?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Something like this:

http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=251778

Wireless pci card like this to match:

http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=251795

You may be able to find a good at a compusa or circuit city near you. They always have some sort of sale on this kind of stuff with very nice mail in rebates.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: