Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Emachine 370, it shut down when booting

• Please log in to reply

Perdu

Perdu

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry if the post is difficult understand, I had a stroke and sometimes I find it difficult to find the right words.

Hi
I'm new for this forum.

My friend have a problem with his Emachine 370, running XP home
edition.
It start to boot but while the window blue bar screen shows
it just shut down.

I've build several computers but I am not good at trouble shooting.
I've tried everything I can think, safe mode, check connections, replacing ribbons, DVD drive, floppy drive. power supply even replacing the Bio battery.
I'd tried using a spare hard drive with XP installed, it start to boot then go to the
safe mode screen, it start to boot again but looped back to the safe mode screen again. I can't try install clean window because the DVD drives don't open.
I'm stuck

regards Tony

Advertisements

Waffleboy

Waffleboy

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
It sounds like a PSU problem, do you have another PSU you can try instead?

Perdu

Perdu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I replaced everything from a working computer except the motherboard, processor and the hard drive.
I think the hard disk is OK, I slaved it to my computer and I error check it. no errors.
Must be either motherboard, processor problem or corrupted windows.

Edited by Perdu, 27 November 2010 - 04:39 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Perdu do you still require assistance with the emachine 370 issue?

It start to boot but while the window blue bar screen shows
it just shut down.

Possible symptoms of a failed HDD or corrupt OS.

I'd tried using a spare hard drive with XP installed, it start to boot then go to the
safe mode screen, it start to boot again but looped back to the safe mode screen again

This will not work because the replacement HDD will not have the MBs drivers on it.

I can't try install clean window because the DVD drives don't open.

Symptoms of not being connected correctly, bad PSU or a bad drive.
I would recommend putting all the original components back together and then do a step by step
process of elimination, post back if you do require assistance.

Perdu

Perdu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Phillpower2

Thank-you for your reply.
When I replace an item I'd check it, no change, so I replace another item etc. in the end I replaced nearly everything and no change at all.
I didn't explain the DVD driver problem very well, The original DVD drive and the replacement doesn't open, doesn't matter if it's the original or the replacement, when I push the button, the light is on, I can hear a couple of clonks but they don't open.
Some one said to checked the motherboard capacitors for leaks, I've found 7 leaking capacitor.
do you think it's the motherboard?

Tony

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Check the back of the power supplies and make sure it's set for the correct voltage 110 Vs 220 ( I'm sure this isn't the issue but it's worth a check)

Unplug the cd/dvd drives, floppy drive, mouse and any other peripheral other than the keyboard connected to the mother board. In other words, you only want to have the video card hard drive, keyboard and one stick of ram installed in the pc
try and see if it will start without issue. if you still have the problem disconnect the hard drive and try starting it .Shut down and then start adding components one by one until you run into an issue. hook up the hard drive last.

CD/DVD drive: look at the front of the drive and there should be a small hole, insert a paper clip into the hole and it will open the tray manually. Pull the tray out to make sure it's not jammed up. You can use this method to insert a cd or dvd for booting.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The original DVD drive and the replacement doesn't open, doesn't matter if it's the original or the replacement, when I push the button, the light is on, I can hear a couple of clonks but they don't open

See post #4 regarding the PSU and as suggested by D-Berd you can use a paper clip to manually open the disk tray.

Some one said to checked the motherboard capacitors for leaks, I've found 7 leaking capacitor.
do you think it's the motherboard?

If you have 7 leaking capacitors there is every chance that the original PSU has blown and done this, the problem is if it has blown what other components has it possibly taken with it! Bulging capacitors would not stop the DVD drive disk tray from opening as it is fed direct from the PSU and you have already said the DVD drive light is on meaning it is getting power.
The MB would effectively be useless if it was so badly damaged as it would not be a cost effective repair, for some info on bad caps and some images for comparison have a look at the attached link
http://www.pcstats.c...m?articleID=195

Perdu

Perdu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks D-Berd and Phillpower2

I did as you recommended. I remove everything but the power supply, hard drive and one stick of memory (graphics is on board). it's the same, Boots but shut down when the Windows screen is showing.
so I remove the hard drive then when to the Bios setup.
The are 6 tabs: main, advanced, security, power, Boot and exit.
It was looking OK but when I went to the power tab it immediately shut down.
I checked it again, went to the Bios setup page and waited at least 5 mins again it was looking OK so when to the power tab, again it immediately shut down.

It must be the motherboard do you think?

Attached Thumbnails

• MB.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
With the power cord removed can you try gently cleaning the tops of the caps as it is hard to tell from your attached photo if they have gunk on the top or if they have blown, if they have the board is as good as dead, did you manage to open the DVD drive using a paper clip?

Perdu

Perdu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I cleaned the caps, it's like a very hard putty.
I can open the DVD door with a clip.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
The corrosion on the caps will have a crusty whitish texture to it, kinda like what you see on a dead battery that's been sitting in flashlight for way to long. You could try to pull the cpu and re install it just to make sure. And you could also open the try a and put in the win cd or recovery cd and see how far it gets. I've had a old msi mother board that had leaky caps and it still ran. But it's not a good sign when they start to leak like that. Are there any other caps leaking? I would say it's time for a new board though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have you now cleaned off the tops of all the caps and if so how do they look?
Try and get the DVD drive to open and close using the button, if it doesn`t its back to a bad PSU or drive.

Perdu

Perdu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

You could try to pull the cpu and re install it just to make sure.

Done it, didn't fixed it

And you could also open the try a and put in the win cd or recovery cd and see how far it gets.

His computer was preinstall without any Windows or recovery CDs.

you now cleaned off the tops of all the caps and if so how do they look?

Bulged.

Just tried another thing, At the moment I'm writing this post using his power supply and his DVD drive in my computer, the DVD drive work perfectly.
Thank you for trying, I haven't got a clue what to do now.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
You can check on line for a replacement motherboard. You are using his power supply and DVD player and it works. Everything you have tried has narrowed down to the mother board.

Perdu

Perdu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Guys

I've found and ordered a refurbished motherboard for £20 it's exactly the same as his so should boot with his hard drive.
Thank you very much for your help.

Tony