Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In the market for a new case

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I've decided that i've had enough of my current tower. Right now I have an Antec 900.

Why I want to get a new case:
1. First and foremost, I want a tool-less case. I'm sick of the Antec because EVERYTHING needs screws.
2. Dust. The Antec comes stock with 4 fans. And two are 120mm intakes on the front. They do a great job, but there's no dust filters or anything, and a very open front bezel for dust/hairs to get in. I've already had two fans die on me because hairs and dirt got inside them and killed them - and fans are the cheapest things to replace all the time.
3. Cable management. It's terrible, full stop.

That basically outlines what i'd like in a new case. Problem is I don't have a very large budget right now (And is kind of an upgrade to fulfill my urges to buy new parts while I save up for a new mobo/CPU/RAM) AND i'm from Ausland, so no cheap newegg or anything.

My desires in a case:
-Need to fit a full ATX motherboard.
-Need to have enough room for high-end video cards.
-Tool-less. At least tool-less HDD Cage, Optical Drive mounting, and Expansion card holding.
-I'm partial to the PSU being mounted at the bottom.
-I REALLY don't want to have to spend an extra $40 on fans, so preferably a case that already has it's fans full up, or at least doesn't leave big gaps where you CAN install a fan.
-Cable Management is important.
-I'd like a rotated HDD cage.

Having a brief look around, i'm quite fond of the Lian Li Lancool Dragon Lord PC-K62, although i'd like something a little cheaper if possible. Postage on cases is [bleep] expensive. If nothing better shows up though, I may wait until I can pick up one of these cases in person.

Any suggestions at all are welcome :D

Cheers,
Seltox

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is the case I bought back in January for my new system. Lots of fans and 90% tooless.
Cooler Master

Tigerdirect HERE has a nice video on the benefits of the case. Scroll down the page to find the video review on the case.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I've found that researching a case, reading the owner reviews and looking at as many photos of it as possible goes along way.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

This is the case I bought back in January for my new system. Lots of fans and 90% tooless.
Cooler Master

Tigerdirect HERE has a nice video on the benefits of the case. Scroll down the page to find the video review on the case.

Looks like a nice case, but it's actually more expensive than the Lancool one I showed (in the stores over here at least..) It'd be nice if I could buy from Newegg :D Free postage.. I wish.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm just noticed you are from Australia... going to find Troy as he is from your area and he might be able to give you a lot better advice.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I thought PC Case Gear was down Melbourne way, can you pick up from them? Definitely go the Lian Li that you have found, very nice case in my opinion. I don't know if I'd put it over the Antec 900 but given your reasons it might be the way to go.

Also I have the Antec 1200 and it has filters for the front fans? The 900 doesn't? Been a while since I worked on that case.

Also I really like the 300 refresh, it is a great case but not tool-less design and you need to add two extra front case fans, but great for the money.

Cheers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Troy as always a honor to work with you. :D

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Aye, PCCG are down in Victoria. I'm at the NSW border though, still a 5 hour trek down there. I'll be moving there soon though, so I guess i'll hold on until then.

And yeah, my 900 didn't come with any dust filters or anything. Perhaps the 900 Two comes with them though? I haven't really had a look at it.

Thanks Troy :D

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Not sure mate, have the 1200 myself and work with plenty of 300s, really good case for the price. Both of them have filtered front panels so the 900 definitely should have as well.

Just had a look on the Antec website and it doesn't say anything about it, not in the specs or mechanical drawing - maybe it doesn't? Will definitely check next time I get one in the workshop!

In the meantime just deal with it, 10-hours return is a bit much eh, best way to go is have a small soft-bristle brush and dust it down every other day, that keeps 80% of it out already, then it's nowhere near as bad when it comes to "blast-out" time (cleaning it out with compressed air).

Cheers