Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Takes soooooo long for IE to connect

• Please log in to reply

NORTHCOAST

NORTHCOAST

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi, when I click on the IE icon on my desktop it takes a good 5 minutes for it to load. It says "connecting" but it takes forever. I've run Ad-Aware & have Norton Internet Security. It's just so frustrating to wait so long. I just ran chkdsk today and it had a lot of "orphaned" items. Not sure what that means. But it's still slow. Any advice on what to do? A non-geek, so please give your answer in easy to understand language. Much appreciated!

Edited by NORTHCOAST, 27 November 2010 - 06:11 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go start, programs, accessories, system tools, Internet Explorer No add-ons -START it from there.
How is it now please.
If that is then OK. Start IE normally and go Tools tab, manage add-ons.
You may need to prune your list of search providers, toolbars and extensions and accelerators.
If you need help post back. but basically toolbars helpers and updaters can safely be disabled.
Many programs downloaded automatically add toolbars and search providers. You will know which you need.

If still slow - when you to get a connection - how are other sites, once you are connected are they also slow to load.

On internet explorer, click tools, click Delete browsing history and then depending on which you wish NOT to be deleted check or uncheck boxes as required.

You will note that one is saved passwords - those are not windows passwords, they are website passwords.
If you know them you can of course delete all and start afresh.
THis is perfectly safe, you will simply have to log back in to any websites that so require it.

When you have done this please post back with how it is and IF still slow, please post the connection details, ie ethernet - that is wired conection to a router etc. Wireless. and also HOW long has it been like this and have you installed anything that coincides with that time.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 November 2010 - 10:40 AM.

NORTHCOAST

NORTHCOAST

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you so much for your reply. So, I went into System Tools and started IE with no add ons. I then clicked on one of my favorites and got right into it within 10 seconds. Yay! Then I closed that IE and went back and clicked on the IE icon on my desktop and it loaded really quickly, just like without add-ons. Not sure if that means something got straightened out by running it without add ons or what. Or will it go back to its slow self once I reboot? I also went in to Manage Add-ons and see a bunch of stuff labeled default or enabled. Not sure what I can disable and what I should keep the same. Also if I run IE without add-ons, will it affect videos that I might want to watch on CNN or Youtube? Thanks for your help on this!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes you cannot run it without add-ons totally or certain things will likely not work.

1. Have you deleted your browsing history as I advised.

2. Take it a screen at a time and I will guide you through.
First list your Toolbars and extensions.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 November 2010 - 05:16 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re above.
I will willingly go through this with you but you may in view of the fact that I will be signing off in 30 mins wish to take it yourself using this guide.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Please do not hesitate to post back with any query.