Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu question

• Please log in to reply

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
just a question,

i have a p4 prescott 3.4ghz 2mb cache 800fsb cpu in my machine

i also have an intel E4500 core duo 2.2ghz 2mb cache 800fsb cpu that i'm thinking of installing in my machine

is there any point ?

if there is then what would be the benefits ?

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I'm not sure you can fit a E4500 in a board designed for a p4....Dunno without looking it up. But anyways, from what I understand the p4 is not a true dual core processor. It uses hyper threading that basically splits the processing into two different threads making it look like dual core. The core 2 duo is a true multi core processor. What motherboard are you wanting to do this on?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Personally I would stick with the P4, compare the specs and read the feedback at the attached links it may help you decide;
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116196
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115031

NB: Both CPUs are LGA 775

calvert

calvert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
oh - yeah, i did forget to mention that my mobo is socket 775, same as both cpu's,

i know the p4 is single core and uses hyperthreading,

i was wondering if there would be any benefits/advantages in swapping to the E4500,